CDR: Re: Here's an interesting twist on gun control ...

Jim Choate ravage at ssz.com
Mon Nov 6 19:56:09 PST 2000

On Mon, 6 Nov 2000, David Honig wrote:

> At 02:13 AM 11/6/00 -0500, Tim May wrote:
> > I just can't think of anything
> >the law requires me to have in my house. As it should be.
>
> * running water

There's no law in Texas that requires me to use any of the city utilities.
There are other laws that limit my options however with respect to
alternatives.

> * N toilets per hectare

You mean I need to have a toilet in my barn? Man are my cows going to be
happy or what...

Here in Texas it has to be a domicile or a place of business to be
required to have toilets. And if the building doesn't have them then it's
usualy grandfathered (at least until the next time you need a building
permit to do a mod).

> * electricity

Nada, call your electric company. Ask them what happens if you turn off
the electricity where you live? Nothing.

> * walls, stairs, floors made to certain state minima (standards)

Of course you can avoid this by living outside a city. Generaly the county
building codes are not very restrictive. The strict city codes generaly
come from bad experiences like Mrs. Oleary's cow (though it really wasn't
the cow's fault).

                     He is able who thinks he is able.

                                           Buddha

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com