CDR: Re: Here's an interesting twist on gun control ...

David Honig honig at sprynet.com
Tue Nov 7 08:24:43 PST 2000

At 09:00 PM 11/6/00 -0800, Ray Dillinger wrote:
>On Mon, 6 Nov 2000, David Honig wrote:
>>* running water
>>* N toilets per hectare
>>* electricity
>>* walls, stairs, floors made to certain state minima (standards)
>>* N metres of terra between A and B
>
>Um.  Not true.  Many of my relatives do without the first three
>owing to religious proscription.  Since they tend to build their
>own homes in big house-raising parties, (ie, would rather pay for
>employing their own community for a day plus have singing, a
>banquet, and horseshoe pitching instead of paying the same money
>to "some outlander", aka a contractor) the standards to which
>contractors are held in building have never become an issue.
>
>Then again, as far as I know no Amish-built house has ever fallen

Wow, you're related to the Amish?

Anyway the English :-) may make exceptions for the Amish, but generally,
and even in rural america, you can't sell a house for human (chiiiildren)
occupation
that's not wired for classical infrastructure ---water, wires, N lbs/ft^2.

[Just another example of the state rape of property rights which I do not
defend]

Rural folks may get away with more slack, but only because they may not be
caught.
Simple example: No matter how rural you are, a single cat-tail gives the
ARmy Corps of Engrs
'rights' to control the use of that 'wetland'; however this is hard to
enforce universally because
the Army Corps doesn't have access to 10 cm spy satellites to survey every
farm.  [not intending
to start an ecological flame]