[cddlm] CDL xsd

Steve Loughran steve_loughran at hpl.hp.com
Thu Jun 9 15:22:54 CDT 2005

Guilherme Mauro Germoglio Barbosa / Projeto Ourgrid - Projeto
Ourgrid/LSD wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I've been looking at your repository and I found out that some cdl files
> located in /deployment/test/cdl/invalid/ are considered valid according
> to the cdl schema in the repository.
>
> One of them is /deployment/test/cdl/invalid/wrong_root_elt_type.cdl
> /that has its root element /<cdl:expression> /instead of <cdl:cdl> as it
> must be.
> I think the CDL XMLSchema (xml-cdl.xsd) should care about invalidating
> this kind of error - I modified the current schema to invalidate this.

would you care to submit a patch?

> The other is
> /deployment/test/cdl/invalid/expression-duplicate-variables.cdl /-
> unfortunately this one we still don't know how to invalidate through the
> schema.
>
> So my question is if the invalid files from the repository must be
> invalidated simply by XMLSchema or the parser implementation should care
> about these errors.

Yes, some of the stuff in invalid/ is invalid semantically, not
syntactically. There are limits to XSD's powers. As I write more of the
import and resolution tests, we'll have docs in there that are invalid
there to, for example

Import tests
-multiple imports of the same doc into different namespaces (is that
invalid?)
-multiple imports of different docs into the same namespace
-docs that dont resolve to valid urls, even on the classpath

resolution
-things that dont resolve

extends
-self referential extension

others
-conflicting attributes
-expressions that dont make sense

etc. etc. I'm just adding tests as i go along. We could structure them
better, i suppose. I am glad that you have embraced testing!