[CCGT] Science Gateways workshop background

Charlie Catlett catlett at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Apr 8 15:52:37 CDT 2005

Friends-
Since the proposal I sent regarding this workshop mentioned a group
in TeraGrid that was aiming to have a document drafted in March I
wanted to send it to you.  It's very preliminary, but it shows that
the group is serious and already getting work done.   I expect an
iteration on this document within a few weeks since it was discussed
in great detail during several sessions of the TeraGrid all-hands
meeting earlier this week.  I think this workshop will be very
important to the community.  My hope is that it will bring in some of
the less-involved sectors of the community including people who are:

- building portals for scientific communities
- implementing web services on resources in operational grids
- developing operational policies and mechanisms for varying degrees
of authorization (from full access shell accounts to restricted
service invocations) based on varying degrees of authentication (from
highly trusted authentication to anonymous access)
- trying to make multiple grids work together, etc.

CeC