[WEBMASTER] [Christian Media] Christian Media Communique: Mission To Emmaus

John deBritto freshwaterfromgod2 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 13:26:53 EST 2021

*Christian Media *

Communiqué

*MISSION TO EMMAUS *

The Biblical account in the Gospels, when the two disciples of Jesus were
travelling to the village of Emmaus, is one of the most inspiring stories
in Scripture. It is also filled with veiled meaning, and symbolism which
reveals profound Spiritual truth. Most believers know the story is set on
the road to *Emmaus*, as the fires of salvation which had enveloped the
disciples were faltering, and were in peril of being extinguished.

After all, the *one* who had inspired the belief the Saviour had come to
establish the Kingdom of God had Himself been *murdered*, His followers
were still in shock, and they were all on the edge of despair. As *two
followers *of Jesus walked to the village of Emmaus on the edge of
Jerusalem, they were sharing their despondency when they were joined by a
*third* – an individual who looked strangely familiar, yet they did not
recognize it was the risen LORD.

“And it came to pass, that, while they communed together and *reasoned,*
*Jesus* himself drew near, and went with them. But their eyes were
holden *[held
back]* that they should not know him” *(Luke 24:15,16).*

Here is yet another version of the classic pattern which occurs
literally *hundreds
*of times in Scripture, where the *two* represent the *finite*, or those in
the “valley of decision” *(Joel 3:14),* while the *third*, represents the
righteous component which is translated into the infinite Kingdom of God:

“…in all the land, saith the Lord, *two parts* therein shall be cut off and
die, but the* third* shall be left therein. And I will bring the third part
through the *fire*, and will refine them as silver is refined, and will try
them as gold is tried: they shall call on my name, and I will hear them: I
will say, It is my people: and they shall say, The LORD is my God” *(Zechariah
13:8,9).*

In the present instance, we see *two created beings* – the two disciples
who are immersed in their present situation concerning what they will do
now that Jesus has been crucified -- and the *third* character in the
story, which is the eternal God Himself.

Once we realize *the single source of salvation* is *Jesus*, and He is
regularly juxtaposed against a duality which manifests the finite, or the *two
parts* which are *not *God, we may begin to see the LORD is telling us
something which is foundational concerning the nature of all creation.

*A Consistent Symbolism*

The identical imagery is found when *Jesus*, the eternal God, is crucified
between *two created beings* – thieves in the text. Or, in yet another
manifestation of the same cycle, when the glory of God is unleashed for
just a moment at His transfiguration, we see Him flanked by *two created
beings* – Moses and Elijah:

“…and he was transfigured before them. And his raiment became shining,
exceeding white as snow; so that no fuller *[clothing preparer]* can white
them. And there appeared unto them *Elias with Moses*: and they were
talking with *Jesus*” *(Mark 9:2-4).*

A sharp contrast is always seen between the “two parts” and the “third”
part, which is *always singular*; thus what we call the *Triuniverse* is an
ongoing study in these quarters. The fact that Jesus is

“…the way, the truth, and the life [and] no man cometh unto the Father, *but
by me,*” *(John 14:6)*

is not only *exclusive*, it is *singular *in a way which is downright
astonishing. Thus, the “two parts cut off” provides a definitive
differentiation to the *one way *which leads to the throne of glory – and
that “strait gate” *(Luke 13:24)* is exceedingly narrow, to say nothing of
unique. But there is far more going on, as we move out into the deep end of
these Spiritual waters.

The triuniversal pattern of two parts cut off is studied in some detail in
the recent book, which carries the twice-speak laden title of *Lord, Lord*.
Drawn from the well known account where the “many” come to the LORD certain
of their salvation, but are left in shock when they find their discernment
was so completely non-existent that they are reduced to arguing “but Lord,
Lord,” we now know there are even *two parts* to that ominous account.

Once again, here we find the precise formula of *two parts cut off*, as
there are actually *two groups* rejected. The first says Lord, Lord, did we
not _____ (fill in the blank),

“And then will I profess unto them, I *never* knew you: depart from me, ye
that work iniquity” *(Matthew 7:21).*

We note the second group, the ones to whom Jesus says I know you not
“whence” ye are, attempts to initiate a dialogue with Jesus, to justify
their position, as though they have a relationship with Him, but

“…he shall answer and say unto you, I know you not *whence *ye are” *(Luke
13:25).*

In other words, they have no relationship with Him. Remember, the old
English *whence* is *where*, and because he does *not* say, I *never* knew
you in this rendition of events, this second group is the religious crowd
which *has* had some degree of interaction with the LORD, but they have
positioned themselves in a *place* where He cannot know them.

*Conversations Leading To Consensus *

Back on the *Emmaus Road*, before the resurrected Jesus re-enters the
picture, as the two disciples “reasoned” over their circumstances, they
would have discussed the ramifications of the death of Jesus. It is
“reasonable” to assume that, once a man is thoroughly dead, through the
gruesome process of crucifixion, he won’t be around anymore to teach or
lead them.

Thus, the topic of just what they, and the other disciples were going to do
in the absence of *Jesus*, would have come up, and suggestions as to an
appropriate course of action would certainly have begun to emerge.

Indeed, if the two used this same *reasoning* process to discuss the rumor
going around that *Elijah and Moses* had actually appeared with *Jesus*, it
was reasonable to assume those who made that claim must have been mistaken
– for Elijah and Moses had been gone for many centuries at that point in
time – and now *Jesus* Himself was gone.

The point is, the process known as the *Dialogue to Consensus* will
invariably conclude in a synthesis of the various *opinions* brought forth
by the *two parties* to the dialogue – and in the absence of the knowledge
of the *absolute fact* that *Jesus* had risen from the dead, every outcome
would be based upon the *consensus* of those participating in the dialogue.

In this *process* of inaugurating a discussion and reasoning among
themselves (as the Scriptures tell us these two Disciples were doing), they
were, in effect, evaluating their environment, and discussing what they
should do next.

Most believers today function in the same mode as the two bound for Emmaus,
but they live and breathe in the place in time *before* the LORD moves in
to re-spark the Spirit which He had generated among His disciples in the
first place.

*God Is*

There is *no *consensus with God, there is only fact. A fact is a *two
edged sword* which severs relationships not founded on the absolute *truth*.
This is *why* Jesus said He came not to bring peace, but a *sword* – a
cutting edge absolute truth that will sever relationships:

“For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the
daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in
law” *(Matthew 10:35).*

In some cases, *both* parties in the relationship turn to Him, and total
victory is seen. In others, the prophetic pair represents the rejection by
both. Invariably, the *third* are those in whom the LORD dwells in unity,
whereas the principalities which oppose us are *double-minded*.

In the *two* thieves on the cross episode, only one repents, and is drawn
into glory. In the story of the *two blind men* to whom Jesus restores
their vision, they both follow Him, and give God the glory. The repentant
thief is now *one* with Christ, and the two formerly blind men are also
united as *one* with Christ.

In this regard, as Christ prayed to the Father on behalf of all who believe
in Him, the LORD repeatedly spoke of unity within Him:

“…the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be *one*,
even as we are *one*…” *(John 17:22).*

In the present look at Christ’s *Mission to Emmaus*, we see the LORD is
drawing men and women to Himself *from* the two-fold finite fallen creation
which is not God. It is startling for those unaware of this concept to
realize the *Triuniverse* construct, because it invariably challenges
cherished beliefs.

Similarly, the *two disciples* on the road to *Emmaus* have just had their
beliefs shattered, so they are reasoning what the death of *Jesus* will
mean to them, and the text specifically tells us they had *no expectation
of His resurrection*. Indeed, the verse tells us they were very sad, as the
incognito Christ joins them on their journey:

“What manner of communications are these that ye have one with another, as
ye walk, and are sad?” *(Luke 24:17).*

Now we see the gentle *Jesus* once again, as He delicately asserts the
*facts* to these two – His loving disciples who are in such a sad state.
That Jesus does not desire to shock them with an abrupt, triumphal arrival
is evident, as He carefully speaks to them of how the prophets foretold of
His resurrection – an event which would also require His death.

The fact that Christ moves slowly in re-initializing the light of the
Gospel during His *Mission to Emmaus* is underscored later when He appears
to the eleven disciples, for there we see they are *quaking in fear*, as
though they had seen a ghost:

“…they were terrified and affrighted, and supposed that they had seen a
spirit”* (Luke 24:37).*

Thus, back on the road with the two, *Jesus* slowly draws them out with a
feigned ignorance – and they begin to regain their Spiritual fortitude as
they witnessed to this stranger all about *Jesus of Nazareth*, and the
events which had just transpired:

“And they said unto him, Concerning Jesus of Nazareth, who was a prophet,
mighty in deed and word before God and all the people; And how the chief
priests and our rulers delivered him to be condemned to death, and have
crucified him” *(Luke 24:19,20).*

One can almost sense the animation, and the enthusiasm returning to the
despondent duo as they recounted the amazing phenomena of *Jesus*, and how
He sparked such a *fire* in so many people. Many have experienced the
phenomena when more than one person get so excited on certain subjects,
that they both try to talk at the same time. In such cases the intensity
rises as each chimes in on the other’s statements -- so these two, who were
brought back to life by just *talking* about *Jesus*, must have begun to
speak faster and louder with each word:

“Yea, and certain women also of our company made us astonished who were
early at the sepulcher; and when they found not his body, they came, saying
that they had also seen a vision of angels, who said that he was alive.”

“And certain of those who were with us went to the sepulcher, and found it
even as the women had said; but him they saw not” *(Luke 24:24).*

*The Re-Ignition*

On hearing this indecisive rendition of the events concerning His
resurrection, the first words from *Jesus* *reproved* the two disciples for
their lack of faith – and this correction was pointedly tied to the words
of the prophets in the Scriptures:

“Then he said unto them O *[foolish ones],* and slow of heart to believe *all
that the prophets have spoken*: Ought not Christ to have suffered these
things, and to enter into his glory?” *(Luke 24:25,26).*

Jesus, as the “*Third* *Part” **(Zechariah 13:9)* seeking to resurrect the
faith of the other *two*, immediately pointed to the fact the prophets
described all of these things, so the fact that they had not actually seen
the risen LORD should have been secondary to their *faith* in the absolute
Word of God.

This statement clearly shows the LORD wanted the faith of His disciples to
be rooted in the fact *the Scriptures can always be trusted* – as opposed
to the physical proof that men seek via signs and wonders. He then
immediately moved to expound on how *the Scriptures predicted that Christ
would rise again* – and even though they were hesitant to declare with
certainty that the LORD had indeed risen, their faith in the absolute truth
found in the words of the prophets should have convinced them that Christ
would indeed rise from the dead.

“And beginning at Moses and all the *prophets*, he expounded unto them in
all the *scriptures* the things concerning himself” *(Luke 24:27).*

This is significant as well, for the fact that *Jesus* did not simply
reveal Himself first, and *then* provide the duo with a rehearsal of the
various prophet’s words concerning the Saviour, addresses how the LORD
tells us those who exhibit faith in Him *without* having been an eyewitness
to His resurrection are to be considered blessed:

“Blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed” *(John 20:29).*

*The Proof Of Prophecy*

This order of things also anticipates the Holy Spirit’s instruction through
the *Apostle Peter*, who tells us the things which we see with our own eyes
are not as trustworthy as the fact that Jesus Christ fulfilled all the
predictions of the prophets concerning the coming of the redeemer:

“For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto
you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of
his majesty. We have also *a more sure word of prophecy*….” *(II Peter
1:16,19).*

With these words Peter follows the pattern set by *Jesus*, in His *Mission
to Emmaus*, when He told the two disciples they should have known Christ
would suffer and die, and then be resurrected, seeing that is what the
prophets said would happen:

“Ought not Christ to have suffered these things, and to enter into his
glory… *[seeing that is what]* …all the prophets have spoken?” *(Luke
24:26,25).*

As *Jesus*, the *only* begotten Son of God continues to revive His
disciples through His words, and they arrive at their destination, we see
the *two men* petition Him to stay with them – yet another indicator they
are responding to the life and the power emanating out of *Jesus* – whom
they still do not recognize.

 When reading through the veil of the physical, and viewing the Spiritual
power pouring out of the single person in this wonderful triad of souls, we
see the literal phrasing of their interaction takes on an even deeper
dimension. For example, as the LORD feigns as though He were going further
on down the road, they ask Him to stay with them:

 “But they constrained Him, saying, *Abide with us*….” *(Luke 24:29).*

It is as though the *two* had recognized they were in a time of their own
Spiritual darkness, but have come to Christ again, and asked Him into their
hearts to be their Saviour – and with this request, the two are fulfilling
Christ’s earlier instruction that believers must *abide in Him* in order to
experience His life:

“*Abide in me, and I in you.* As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself,
except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me” *(John
15:4).*

 And yet, even as the “stranger” agreed to stay with the two for a time in
Emmaus, still they did not know Him. The Scriptures eloquently tell us it
was when Jesus sat down and broke bread with them that their eyes were
opened:

“And it came to pass, as he sat at meat with them, he took bread, and
blessed it, and brake, and gave to them. And their eyes were opened, and
they knew him; and he vanished out of their sight” *(Luke 24:30,31). *

*The Words Of Life*

 Although many still resist the concept of prophetic metaphor, it is
everywhere in the Scriptures, so it is a foolish pursuit to refuse to
recognize how the LORD speaks to us with Words of life which are under the
surface text. In this last verse, we see the beautiful word-picture of a
pair of individuals, who received the Spirit of Christ as it was given to
them, their Spiritual eyes were opened, and they knew Christ as a result:

“…And their eyes were opened, and they knew him” *(Luke 24:30).*

 In the case of the *two* who have just passed from the finite into the
life of the *third*, we see a magnificent move of God in the eternal realm.
The Scriptures never miss a beat, for they link this transition with the
words which connect the two with the solitary source of Salvation – *JESUS*.

“And they said one to another, *did* *not our heart burn within us,* while
he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?” *(Luke
24:32).*

This is actually amazing, for the text references the *fire *of God which
has been rekindled within the two who were in such Spiritual disarray. In
fact, the unending joy found in the realization that God has truly redeemed
us never ceases in its exhilarating detail, for if you look closely at the
verse, you’ll see the word *heart* is *singular* – as the two disciples of
Jesus now have one heart, and it is the heart of the Holy One:

“Did not our *heart *burn within us?” *(Luke 24:32).*

 This transition, in which the two disciples are now *one* with the
“third,” brings about the unity *Jesus* repeatedly referenced. The
metaphors continue, as the text tells us the *two disciples were now risen
from the dead*:

“*And they rose up the same hour*, and *returned to Jerusalem*, and found
the eleven gathered together, and them that were with them” *(Luke 24:33).*

As they “rose up” in the Spiritual realm, they “returned” to their
place in *New
Jerusalem*, which is the eternal state of the believer:

“Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God…the holy
city, *new Jerusalem*, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared *as a
bride adorned for her husband*” *(Revelation 3:12;21:2).*

As we all know, the two who had been joined with Christ after His *Mission
to Emmaus*, immediately ran back to Jerusalem, to transmit the message from
Emmaus. And just as they all shared the Good News that Christ was indeed
risen from the dead, He appeared in their midst:

“And as they thus spake, Jesus himself stood in the midst of them, and
saith unto them, Peace be unto you” *(Luke 24:36).*

In this we see the singular, divine nature of God, which was planted in
each of the disciple’s hearts, and with Christ in their “midst,” we see a
*oneness* which is incomprehensible.

And as a point of fact, as each of the disciples continued on their
missions to minister the *one* truth of Christ to the various nations, the
pattern continued with the two finite parts, encountering the only begotten
Son of God in them -– and when we truly receive Him, we become *one* with
the Spiritually constituted, singular body of Christ.

*-- James Lloyd*

*To Be Continued*