[UR-WG] Next phone meeting 29.05.2012 at 15:00 CET -> 31.06.2012

john alan kennedy jkennedy at rzg.mpg.de
Thu May 31 08:54:50 EDT 2012

Hi Andrea,

Sorry I just started to have a better read... not exactly good timing
since the meeting starts in a few mins.

I'll put down my questions and comments quickly.

A general question would be should we aim in this UR to have both
storage and compute or should we just cover storage and say we can
combine with compute via aggregate records?

Some more specific Q's and Comments:

7.1
Q - Do you think it would be better to say "StorageSystem" instead of
"Host".

You do in the Example given.

7.2
Q - Can we re-name from "StorageShare" to something like
"StorageSubElement"?
When I hear the word share I get the idea of a certain share of the
storage like I get 50%.

Q- I am not quite sure what you mean with:

"The value should be able to identify the share of the storage system,
given the storage system property"

Could you clarify - again I start to think fractions when I read this.

7.5

Q - do you really mean "just" that dir - not including any sub directories?
     If you mean no sub-dirs can we explicitly state that.

C - If you do include sub-dirs is there a possibility of the sub-dirs
breaking out of the hierarchy - I mean something equivalent to a
symbolic link.

C - Are there any storage system which don't have this hierarchical
approach?

7.6

I think the Number of files is a really interesting thing to know but I
am not sure if it belongs in the UR

Q - If we just aim to accounting/billing is #files relevant

C - #file is only possible for snapshot URs - if we have a UR which is
formed over a period of time the number of files is hard to quantify.

I will start on the rest now (or after the meeting).

cheers
johnk

On 05/30/2012 08:18 PM, Andrea Cristofori wrote:
> The subject contains obviously a typo. The date should be 31.05.2012.
>
> Andrea
>

> Il 30/05/2012 16:57, Andrea Cristofori ha scritto:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I have updated the wiki pages regarding the use cases. I have also
>> updated the document (attached to this email) on the definition for
>> the UR adding the use cases that we already agreed.
>> After having seen the result of the pool I suggest we try to have our
>> phone meeting tomorrow at 15:00 CET.
>>
>> If you have some spare minute please have a look at it, in general
>> please ignore the page layout and the and grammar mistakes at this
>> point. Just have a look to the content and the organization of the
>> material so that we can talk about it tomorrow.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Andrea
>>

>> Il 16/05/2012 07:15, Ralph Mueller-Pfefferkorn ha scritto:
>>> Hi Andreas,
>>>
>>> I'll be available at the 29th.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Ralph

|Dr. John Alan Kennedy          Rechenzentrum Garching (RZG) |
|Mail:  jkennedy at rzg.mpg.de     Boltzmannstrasse 2           |
|Phone: +49 89 3299 2694        85748 Garching               |
|Fax:   +49 89 3299 1301                                     |