[UR-WG] Call for input on storage accounting record

Andrea Cristofori andrea.cristofori at cnaf.infn.it
Mon Sep 19 17:34:44 CDT 2011

Hi John,

Il 16/09/2011 15:10, john alan kennedy ha scritto:
> On 09/16/2011 02:24 PM, Andrea Cristofori wrote:
>>
>> Hi John,
>>
>> Some short and personal comments on what you wrote:
>>
>> 1) Indeed I think that StAR has its own life but eventually I feel
>> that single definition of UR is preferable. My understanding is that
>> EMI needed something soon so they defined this type of UR for
>> storage. OGF, on the other hand, could produce a new version of UR
>> that includes many (or all if there is agreement) attributes of StAR.
>> Those attribute could be then left optional as well as those for CPU
>> or other resources and depending on the needs different attribute can
>> be used.
>>
> Hi Andrea,
>
> I think we agree on this point. It's really good that the EMI guys
> have got StAR to the point that they have and seeing some real life
> use of a storage accounting record will provide us with some good
> feedback if we consider extending the OGF UR. It's also generating
> more discussion and we can learn a lot from StAR.
>

>> 11) There has been some discussion on that and I also feel that this
>> ValidDuration is artificial. What I suggested was something like
>> having a TimeDuration that represent the time the storage has been
>> used. This leads to differences in the way the used space is
>> reported: if for example no UR is produced before the ValidDuration
>> you end up with a hole in the accounting. With the other system you
>> might have an occupation of the storage that is constant. This could
>> happen if, for example, the storage was offline. The result is that
>> with ValidDuration seems that no storage was used when, in fact, the
>> file(s) were still there (even if not accessible).
>>

> I fear that the only way a true TimeDuration could be achieved would
> be with changes in the storage engines them selves.
>
> Currently we're just living with snapshots and then starting to do our
> best. We have snapshots with give bytes but we need byteseconds (or
> something) IMHO. But again this currently isn't possible without some
> guessing/assumptions.

I agree with this. In fact we developed a solution that use the
assumption that between two measuments the bytes are constant. But have
a precise measurement I think that a more fine accounting should be
performed. E.g.: record the moment when a file is put on the storage and
the moment when it is removed.

> As I said my idea case would be each file is somehow registered in an
> accounting database on storage and it's deletion data is also registered.
> Thus something like the qacct tool could be used which would summarize
> storage usage over a time period.
>
> I think the storage solution providers could be asked if this is at
> all possible or if (due to millions of files) this is going to get far
> too large to manage.
>
> I look fwd to seeing any discussion on this at the OGF.

Well I wrote my comment before finishing reading the email but I think
that we agree in this point.

Cheers,
Andrea