[UR-WG] Call for input on storage accounting record

john alan kennedy jkennedy at rzg.mpg.de
Fri Sep 16 09:10:49 CDT 2011

On 09/16/2011 02:24 PM, Andrea Cristofori wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> Some short and personal comments on what you wrote:
>
> 1) Indeed I think that StAR has its own life but eventually I feel
> that single definition of UR is preferable. My understanding is that
> EMI needed something soon so they defined this type of UR for storage.
> OGF, on the other hand, could produce a new version of UR that
> includes many (or all if there is agreement) attributes of StAR. Those
> attribute could be then left optional as well as those for CPU or
> other resources and depending on the needs different attribute can be
> used.

Hi Andrea,

I think we agree on this point. It's really good that the EMI guys have
got StAR to the point that they have and seeing some real life use of a
storage accounting record will provide us with some good feedback if we
consider extending the OGF UR. It's also generating more discussion and
we can learn a lot from StAR.

> 11) There has been some discussion on that and I also feel that this
> ValidDuration is artificial. What I suggested was something like
> having a TimeDuration that represent the time the storage has been
> used. This leads to differences in the way the used space is reported:
> if for example no UR is produced before the ValidDuration you end up
> with a hole in the accounting. With the other system you might have an
> occupation of the storage that is constant. This could happen if, for
> example, the storage was offline. The result is that with
> ValidDuration seems that no storage was used when, in fact, the
> file(s) were still there (even if not accessible).

I fear that the only way a true TimeDuration could be achieved would be
with changes in the storage engines them selves.

Currently we're just living with snapshots and then starting to do our
best. We have snapshots with give bytes but we need byteseconds (or
something) IMHO. But again this currently isn't possible without some
guessing/assumptions.

As I said my idea case would be each file is somehow registered in an
accounting database on storage and it's deletion data is also registered.
Thus something like the qacct tool could be used which would summarize
storage usage over a time period.

I think the storage solution providers could be asked if this is at all
possible or if (due to millions of files) this is going to get far too
large to manage.

I look fwd to seeing any discussion on this at the OGF.

> We will try to keep you and all the people on the UR-WG mailing list
> that won't be able to be in Lyon with a report of the discussion. See
> you soon maybe to next OGF.

many thanks

cheers
johnk