[ur-wg] XML Changes/Questions: Comment #6c & #9

Donal K. Fellows donal.k.fellows at manchester.ac.uk
Fri May 5 03:06:54 CDT 2006

Sven van den Berghe wrote:
> Just to note that there is some current discussion in the SAGA and
> BES groups on a common state model, perhaps the base set should be
> aligned with the results of this.

I agree. I think there's going to be some kind of joint session in Tokyo
on this topic, and mandating that the UR should be able to accept all
status values defined through the SAGA/BES collaboration would be very
sensible. Mind you, I don't think we want to really constrain the set of
values used there anyway, as the amount of discussion on that topic
between those groups shows. :-)

But we definitely should not mandate that that field is numeric. Short
strings are far easier for people to work with (unless they insist on
writing all their code in C or SQL, that is.)

Donal.