[tsc] [gfsg] Technical Strategy Document

Andre Merzky andre at merzky.net
Fri Jan 26 16:32:39 CST 2007

I also appreciate the brevity and clarity of the definition.
I think that defining the term 'Grid Computing' in such a
short and concise manner is one of the tasks of OGF.

Also, but unrelated, I happen to agree with the definition.
The usage of Grid technologies within a single
administrative domain is thereby not excluded (just as many
programs use TCP for communication even if they are not
running distributed).

Extending the Daves definition in a way that it covers all
possible use cases, and makes all potential users happy, is,
IMHO, impossible, and would weaken the definition.

One could, for example, say: the definition does not say
anything about data management / virtualization / web
services / APIs / protocols /...   But by mentioning one of
those terms, one would leave out 10 others.  The definition
Dave gives is concise, w/o limiting it to a small number of
use cases.

Sorry if that answer is somewhat long, but the definition
as-is is actually, IMHO, worth to go on the OGF flag... :-)

Cheers, Andre.

Quoting [Linesch, Mark] (Jan 26 2007):

--
"So much time, so little to do..."  -- Garfield