[tsc] Fwd: comments on OGF Technical Strategy document

Geoffrey Fox gcf at grids.ucs.indiana.edu
Tue Jan 2 11:42:37 CST 2007

I am afraid that I do not believe in current document and having done
negligible work on it, you should remove me from section 7 with
contributers.
Here are some comments. First I would restate goal at start of section 2
as something like

*The Open Grid Forum should commit all its available resources to the
goal that before this decade is out, commercial and academic
organizations will build real operational grids with OGF help.
*
We should try to be useful -- not to force people to use "our products"
-- the purpose of interoperable frameworks is to enable people to choose
the best of the best. I like the rest of section 2 and figure 1. I think
however that section 3 describes a process that is very unlikely to
succeed. In particular it seems to assume that all requirements are met
either by OGF standards or an OGF WG producing a BKM. This is certainly
not what happens today and inconsistent with current experience whether
it be GIN or the equivalent of BKM's being produced around the world
capturing state of the art in Grids. Sections 4 and 5 seem to be fine
describing the standards work of OGF; this is important and useful but
probably only part (possibly a modest part) of what it takes to build
Grids. As noted by myself and Gannon
http://grids.ucs.indiana.edu/ptliupages/publications/ReviewofServicesandWorkflow-IU-Aug2006B.pdf
there is currently modest use of any (W3C OASIS OGF) standards in
existing Grids and it will be a while before this changes. I think its
unwise for OGF to put all its eggs in this basket!

I note that at SC06, the eScience function discussed the Technical
Strategy document and given clear need to produce something soon,
suggested that OGF aim at a set of documents with current document
focused (as it is) on standards function and supplement this with other
documents more in tune with the eScience drummer!

I could (given time) edit current document but as I think my philosophy
is not in accord with other authors, that would not be useful!
**

--
:
: Geoffrey Fox  gcf at indiana.edu FAX 8128567972 http://www.infomall.org