[tsc] Fwd: Fwd: [chairs] Possible change to TC voting rules - input requested

David Snelling David.Snelling at UK.Fujitsu.com
Mon Oct 23 17:38:55 CDT 2006

Folks,

the OASIS mail on voting.

>> The OASIS Board Process Sub-Committee would like your input
>> on a possible rule change regarding TC voting.
>>
>> Currently any person who is a TC member can be a voting member. Since
>> eligibility is determined on an individual basis, not an
>> organizational basis, an organization can have an unlimited number of
>> voters (up to the number of members it has on that TC).  Some
>> concerns have been raised about this being fair, being a drain on
>> resources of those organizations, and making it harder to manage
>> quorum. Other concerns have been raised that reducing voting power on
>> TCs could reduce participation.
>>
>> The options we are evaluating include:
>> (a) Leaving the rules as currently written;
>> (b) Capping the total number of votes that may be cast by TC members
>>      from a single organization to 1, 2 or 3;
>> (c) Capping the total number of votes that may be cast by TC members
>>      from a single organization based on membership class (e.g.,
>> sponsors
>>      might get 3 versus contributors having 2).
>>
>> The voting rights of individual and associate members in TCs would
>> not be changed by these proposals.
>>
>> Please send your comments to:
>>   [oasis-member-discuss at lists.oasis-open.org] by 20 November, 2006.

[Bicycle crash boiler plate: I will include this boiler plate in my
mails for a few weeks to apologize for terseness in the rest of the
mail.  I have a broken finger from the crash on Oct 4th, and typing
is hard and possible only in short spurts. Sorry, Dave.]

--

Take care:

     Dr. David Snelling < David . Snelling . UK . Fujitsu . com >
     Fujitsu Laboratories of Europe
     Hayes Park Central
     Hayes End Road
     Hayes, Middlesex  UB4 8FE