[tsc] Draft 0.1 of the technical Strategy Document.

Linesch, Mark mark.linesch at hp.com
Tue Aug 29 14:04:11 CDT 2006

All,

Geoffrey handed me the pen in his recent email, but given the workload
associated with GGF18, I am not sure I have the time at the moment to do
much justice so apologize in advance for the quick thoughts.

Board-of-Directors Feedback: We recently held our first board meeting
and all members were very supportive of the TSC and the project
associated with producing an ongoing OGF Technical Strategy and Roadmap
Document. In fact, the board encouraged us to continue with deliberate
focus on two projects that have great synergy with each other.

1. Grid & Distributed Computing Landscape Project: This project will be
championed by our Marketing function in conjunction with a key industry
analyst over the next several months. The purpose is to clarify the role
of grid and OGF within the broader distributed computing industry.

2. OGF Technical Strategy & Roadmap Project: This project is being
championed by the TSC in conjunction with the other functions and key
OGF stakeholders. The purpose is to produce a living document to
articulate direction and priorities and align OGF technical directions
and priorities with stakeholder requirements.

As you can see, both documents are highly synergistic and can be thought
of as "the big picture" and "the technical strategy" associated with
enabling the "big picture". Regarding the TSC-led project, I want to
reiterate a few simple points. I have also attached some quick (and
half-baked) comments to the document Geoffrey sent my way.

Repeatable Process: This document is an "integrating mechanism" that
allows the organization to align with key stakeholders. As such, it
needs to be built into a repeatable process. The contents in this
document allow the organization to interlock and communicate with key
stakeholders over and over and over again in a standard way. It will be
utilized in the following anticipated ways: 1. At every OGF major event
content from this document must be ready to review with: (a) The board;
(b) the "requirement forums; (c) Platinum and Gold members as part of
our Membership Program; (d) with the community-at-large.
2. At every OGF major event, content from this document will be utilized
in keynotes, highlighted in our newsletter and utilized by marketing to
articulate our progress and showcase our value.
3. Contents from this document will be utilized to provide our technical
leaders with tangible justification to solicit technical support for
critical group activities

Repeatable "Models". We need to agree on an overall segmentation for
types/categories of grids and relate "stakeholder-oriented" use cases to
this segmentation. One of the problems that we are having is that
everyone has their favorite model for describing things. However, we
need to start from the user-end of the equation and agreed upon a set of
models. (1) Grid Segmentation Model; (2) Archetype Use Case Models; (3)
Service Models; etc. If we cannot do this as an organization, we will
probably remain fragmented in our alignment, execution and
communication.

Thanks for continuing to move this forward.

Mark

Mark Linesch: Open Grid Forum (OGF): Hewlett Packard 281-514-0322 (Tel):
281-414-7082 (Cell) mark.linesch at hp.com : linesch at ogf.org