[tsc] [Tsc] Fwd: Thoughts on the OGF Technical Direction and Roadmap Document

Geoffrey Fox gcf at grids.ucs.indiana.edu
Wed Aug 16 19:55:01 CDT 2006

I am not a great fan of OGSA even a lot of its activities are excellent. See
http://grids.ucs.indiana.edu/ptliupages/presentations/GGF17OGSAMay10-06.ppt
However I don't see we can come to any conclusion from TSC other than OGSA
unless we change initial or boundary conditions of our discussions in a
drastic fashion
from those that led to OGSA.

Ian Foster wrote:
> Chris:
>
> I find this exchange very useful (and interesting). With respect to
> the two paragraphs below, *my* opinion is that the two goals:
>
>         a) "build real operational grids using OGSA based components" and
>         b) "produce crisp definitions that lead to implementations in
> the next 12-18 months"
>
> are [or should be] semantically equivalent. However, clearly, not
> every one sees things this way.
>
> Clearly we should spend some time on these issues of terminology.
>
> But our main focus must be (I would assert) the question of how we
> achieve (b)--what definitions can we reasonably produce in that time
> frame, *that people will implement*? I emphasize the latter, because
> my view is that the difficulty is not the supply side, it's the demand
> side--we can produce specs quickly, but we need vendors who are
> prepared to embrace standards.
>
> We can talk more tomorrow.
>
> Ian.
>
> At 02:24 PM 8/16/2006 -0700, Chris Kantarjiev wrote:
>> I don't think it's an issue of web services vs. not web services.
>> It's an issue
>> of crisp definitions that lead to implementations in the next 12-18
>> months.
>> That's what I hear the board, and thus presumably the members, asking
>> for.
>>
>> And I'll say it again: setting a goal to build real operational grids
>> using OGSA
>> based components is not a valuable strategic goal for OGF. Not that
>> OGSA is bad
>> ... but OGF doesn't exist solely for OGSA. Statements along these
>> lines lead to
>> the impression that OGSA is a "boil the ocean" solution.

> Ian Foster -- Weblog: http://ianfoster.typepad.com
> <http://ianfoster.typepad.com/>
> Computation Institute: www.ci.uchicago.edu
> <http://www.ci.uchicago.edu/> & www.ci.anl.gov <http://www.ci.anl.gov/>
> Argonne: MCS/221, 9700 S. Cass Ave, Argonne, IL 60439
> Chicago: Rm 405, 5640 S. Ellis Ave, Chicago, IL 60637
> Tel: +1 630 252 4619 --- Globus Alliance: www.globus.org
> <http://www.globus.org/>

:
: Geoffrey Fox  gcf at indiana.edu FAX 8128567972 http://www.infomall.org
: Phones Cell 812-219-4643 Home 8123239196 Lab 8128567977
: SkypeIn 812-669-0772 with voicemail, International cell 8123910207