[tsc] [Tsc] Fwd: Thoughts on the OGF Technical Direction and Roadmap Document

Ian Foster foster at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Aug 16 17:42:50 CDT 2006

Chris:

I find this exchange very useful (and interesting). With respect to the two
paragraphs below, *my* opinion is that the two goals:

         a) "build real operational grids using OGSA based components" and
         b) "produce crisp definitions that lead to implementations in the
next 12-18 months"

are [or should be] semantically equivalent. However, clearly, not every one
sees things this way.

Clearly we should spend some time on these issues of terminology.

But our main focus must be (I would assert) the question of how we achieve
(b)--what definitions can we reasonably produce in that time frame, *that
people will implement*? I emphasize the latter, because my view is that the
difficulty is not the supply side, it's the demand side--we can produce
specs quickly, but we need vendors who are prepared to embrace standards.

We can talk more tomorrow.

Ian.

At 02:24 PM 8/16/2006 -0700, Chris Kantarjiev wrote:
>I don't think it's an issue of web services vs. not web services. It's an
>issue
>of crisp definitions that lead to implementations in the next 12-18 months.
>That's what I hear the board, and thus presumably the members, asking for.
>
>And I'll say it again: setting a goal to build real operational grids
>using OGSA
>based components is not a valuable strategic goal for OGF. Not that OGSA
>is bad
>... but OGF doesn't exist solely for OGSA. Statements along these lines
>lead to
>the impression that OGSA is a "boil the ocean" solution.

Ian Foster -- Weblog: http://ianfoster.typepad.com
Computation Institute: www.ci.uchicago.edu & www.ci.anl.gov
Argonne: MCS/221, 9700 S. Cass Ave, Argonne, IL 60439
Chicago: Rm 405, 5640 S. Ellis Ave, Chicago, IL 60637
Tel: +1 630 252 4619 --- Globus Alliance: www.globus.org