Detect Spying on YOU

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Dec 30 14:18:02 PST 2005

On Fri, Dec 30, 2005 at 01:32:59PM -0500, Tyler Durden wrote:

> In the email have a link to a website you set up with a counter and that
> you have told no one about (I'll add that you should have a nice big GOATSE

Let me get you straight, you're proposing a modus operandi by which
suspect rich content gets rendered outside of a sandbox by TLAs.
Oooh, boy.

To begin with, filters aggregate content without executing it.
If it goes over threshold to require investigator eyeball time
or gets pulled up retroactively each link will be individually
scrutinized. Investigators will have SOPs to follow, and one
of whose will be the equivalent "don't access hypertext links
in suspect material until you've verified they're safe".
In most cases, there's no way to tell the links are safe a priori,
so they will never be accessed. Violations will be persecuted
by beheading.

I realize that Dave Farber's IP list and boingboing will regurgitate
drivel mindlessly, but I do expect participants on this list to do
a bit better.

Please do not taunt the happy-fun ball.