Detweiler, Vulis, Toto, John Young, and mattd

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Sun Jan 6 11:17:34 PST 2002

On Sunday, January 6, 2002, at 01:41 PM, John Young wrote:

> There are many voices and styles of discourse, and to be sure
> a variety of ways to moderate by intimidation and ridicule and
> proclaiming the one true way to do it without seeming to.
>
> Different strokes, differing anarchies, and archies pretending
> otherwise. That is what makes this commons more interesting
> than the closed salons. Which by no means precluded all the
> vile behavior each of us foams about as if not a practitioner.
>
> I miss the variety of serious and humorous discourse of Detweiler,
> Vulis, Toto, Perry, Gilmore, Sandy, Harry Hawk, Eric Hughes,
> come to think of it, a whole collection of accused misfits here,

Perry left because we were not staid enough. He formed his own moderated
group.

Sandy posts in bursts, vanishing for several months, then returning.

Harry Shapiro/Hawk I have never seen on this list. Maybe a couple of
posts in the early days, but I doubt it. I think you are confusing this
list with Extropians, where he was once a frequent poster.

John Gilmore was also never a frequent poster, as any check of the
archives will show. He posted infrequently in 1992-4, and almost not at
all since then. Occasionally he forwards articles he's published
elsewhere.

Longing for the good ole days is one thing, but longing for a past that
was never there is just silly.

As for Detweiler and Vulis, they contributed little of use, and reams of
noise. Someone told me recently that Detweiler has surfaced in another
forum, ranting about something weird. Vulis seems to have vanished from
the face of the earth.

--Tim May
"That the said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize
Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press or the rights of
conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States who are
peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." --Samuel Adams