Retribution not enough

Harmon Seaver hseaver at cybershamanix.com
Mon Oct 22 17:42:07 PDT 2001

Sandy Sandfort wrote:

> No, actually history records a succession of starvations.  (Remember that
> part about Moses interpreting pharaohs dream about 6 fat and 1 skinny kine?)

     Sure, but for the most part, they did alright, else we would not be here.

> Only modern "factory farms" seem immune that this cycle.

     Not so -- only because of corporate welfare.

> Also, your argument makes no economic sense.  Against whom are these
> peasants competing?  Surely they can eat what they grow no matter how
> cheaply the "rapacious" factory farmers price their wares.

       That's the point I was trying to make -- they aren't being "starved"
out. And, as I pointed out previously with the Amish, it isn't that they are
not mechanized enough, or not big enough. So why are they losing their land and
moving to the city to become wageslaves for some megacorp?
      In the US, it's been the swindle worked on them by the chem salesmen, the
gov't, and the banks -- non of which the Amish have any truck with, so they do
okay. In Latin America we see them primarily being kicked off their land by
"paramilitarys" usually in the pay of big ranchers and/or megacorp argribiz,
and sometimes by the army. Maybe kicked off is too strong -- frightened off by
all the rapes and murders and beatings, or, with the army, "relocated" to make
them "safe" from the guerillas (and to stop them from feeding the guerillas).
Remember -- we participated in this in Viet Nam? Our troops moved the peasants
off becuase it was "Viet Cong" territory, into camps where they could be
controlled -- and incidently provide cheap labor for some industry or other.
    Often, when the peasant tries to return to his land, he finds that the
local courthouse has been burned and all the records of ownership lost. In Viet
Nam, I personally know troops who killed villagers when they returned from
relocation camps. Not the first time, not the second time, but the third time
-- "Fuck it, we told them not to come back, they musta been Cong".  The same
thing happens all over Central and South America.
        Yes, economics is part of the picture, but not in the way you are
putting forth. It's not free trade -- it's fascism.
        Someone else said they need to just grow a different crop, and
obviously some are doing that -- coca and marijuana, and opium, and that's a
good thing, and many of them at least in some areas are getting together and
getting armed, and that's a good thing too. And maybe they'll survive.
      But anyway, these simplistic little arguements that this is all just a
matter of them not being competitive is pure bullshit. By all of those same
standards, the Amish are clearly not competitive in the current US
agri-climate, but for some strange reason they seem to be doing the best of any
farmers in the country and debt free.
      Where you *do* see peasants going off to the city to make the big bucks
is all the Mexican illegals who come across the border to work here. And then
you find too that a great many of them work for awhile and then go back home to
build a new house, buy a little land, etc. And that's great, that's the way it
should be, not run off by paramilitarys to live in some cardboard box jungle in
the city and become a wageslave in a sweatshop.

--
Harmon Seaver, MLIS
CyberShamanix
hseaver at cybershamanix.com