Incentives (Re: Dealing with Islamic terrorists, and with Afghanistan)

jamesd at echeque.com jamesd at echeque.com
Fri Oct 5 09:01:47 PDT 2001

   --
On 5 Oct 2001, at 7:19, Dr. Evil wrote:
> To put it another way, was Stalin a communist? Yes, in the
> sense of being a member of the Communist Party, but other
> than that, not in the slightest little bit.  He didn't
> believe in Marxism in even the tiniest degree

When someone says that Stalin was not a communist, we know
that person condemns Stalin for insufficient mass murder, and
being too soft on the kulaks.

It is clear that Stalin was a sincere Marxist and a good
Marxist theoretician.  He wrote some very clear theoretical
explanations of Marxism, and he obviously viewed the world
through that skewed and distorted lens.  He explained the
core of his delusions most lucidly, and acted in accord with
those delusions.  When Chomsky justified terror and slavery
in North Vietnam, he used the language and theory of Stalin
to justify it.  If Stalin was such a crappy theoretician, why
is Chomsky using Stalinist theory?

The argument that Stalin was not a genuine Marxist was made
at the time by those who thought themselves purer Marxists
than he, who thought he was too soft on the kulaks, too
bothered by foolish bourgeois morality, too reluctant to
murder workers and peasants, and that Lenin was not communist
enough.

Those who condemned Stalin for not being a sufficiently pure
Marxist in 1930 were upset because in 1930 he backed off from
mass murder and war upon the peasants -- though it eventually
became apparent that he only backed off because the Soviet
State was insufficiently prepared for that war, and might
have lost it had it launched it prematurely.98

Those who condemned Stalin in 1956 never mentioned those
elements of his repression that were most hated at the time
-- the internal passport system that bound the peasant to the
land and the laborer to the bench, a system that became
standard in every communist country, including those they
applauded.  Those who condemn him today for insufficiently
pure communism recently defended Stalin's attempt to crush
democracy in Greece and wrap the iron curtain around Greece
at the start of the cold war.  Those who condemned him as not
a communist in 1976 cheered the holocaust of the Cambodians
and ridiculed and condemned those who dared flee the terror.

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     GR+Mta+/kzLH6R/poMFtm75BNlf3IM42WAAtc3ey
     4a0t4OXmhyjMU/2S4FumnhYVdaywvVrAA+yBlpvxI