[tc-rg] Trusted Computing Use Case Document

Wenbo Mao wenbo.mao at hp.com
Mon Jun 27 11:51:40 CDT 2005

Andrew,

Under the item "securing the issue of credentials," or maybe under
"helping users to secure their credentials," somewhere in the system
needs a backup server  to work (maybe in a MyProxy position). This is
necessary in case the user's TPM breaks down. This means that a user
private key can be exported from a TPM  to the backup server when the
key is generated.

While a user's mission critical data can be recovered by working with
the backup server, an attested remote execution (eg, for secure
multi-party computation, SMPC) should use a non-exportable key
(attestation identity key, AIK), therefore existing a backup server
can't damage SMPC.

Just my few pence (or US cents in Chicago:-)
Wenbo

--
Dr Wenbo Mao
Principal Engineer         Tel:          +44 (0)117 312 9528
Filton Road, Bristol       Email:           wenbo.mao at hp.com
United Kingdom BS34 8QZ    http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/wm