[sn-cg] where to fit into OGF standards

Chris Kantarjiev chris.kantarjiev at oracle.com
Wed Mar 21 12:57:36 CST 2007

I think we've all been struggling to understand how what we're trying to demo
should fit with the rest of the OGF stuff, especially OGSA. I know I have.
During the OGSA F2F last week, I had some insight. Fred, please feel free to
tell me how wrong I am.

I've been thinking that we need to wait for the OGSA-DATA folks to get their act
together and that that could take forever and they're going to come up with
something unapproachable anyway... but I now think that's just wrong.

We're talking about storage, not data. We don't need a model beyond ByteIO, at
least for access. For starters, we should be building something that provides a
ByteIO interface (an EPR) for reading/writing, and figure out how to interact
with JSDL to allow it to describe the required data set such that the
provisioning piece that Alan wants to build (and will somehow fit into the
rubrick of the Reference Model) can do the appropriate provisioning under the
covers and return the above-mentioned EPR for program access.

If we can do this, or even just present our plans in these terms, I think we'll
get the attention of a lot of the folks in OGF who currently don't understand
what storage networking is all about ... and get a jump on the "data grid"
mindset that may or may not exist.

Please discuss :-)

Best,
chris