[SEM-GRD] a question about AI and eScience

David De Roure dder at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Jan 1 09:44:53 CST 2007

A question to start the new year...

Quite often when we talk about Semantic Grid we observe that in practice
a little bit of semantics goes a long way - the real Semantic Grid
deployments haven't made extensive use of advanced techniques.  Also
some of our predicted areas haven't taken off as we expected 5 years ago
- like agents and e-Science.

It's easy to see where we are now.  But where are we going in this
respect...I'd like to ask one simple question and get the views of
people on the list:

Which techniques from AI will we be using in e-Science in the future -
and when?

What do you think...agents?  Reasoning (where?), planning, knowledge
acquisition, machine learning, etc etc...?  Robots?

Happy New Year! :-)

-- Dave