[security-area] Update on OGSA Basic Profile Security work

Dane Skow dane at fnal.gov
Thu Mar 17 03:02:51 CST 2005

As Frank mentioned in the Security Area Meeting, the OGSA Basic Profile
is now
being worked intensely toward conclusion. The Working Group has set a
goal of
mid April for resolving all the open issues with the current draft. The
majority of
the new issues opened this meeting have to do with security. Takuya has
asked for
a week to allow the interested parties in the Security Area to read the
current draft
and comment on the current open issues (or raise others). This means
that interested
parties will need to engage within the next few days to have maximal
effectiveness.
I encourage those interested in OGSA to engage on the Basic Profile now.

  The response to the question about which use cases from the OGSA use
case
document must be supported by the Basic Profile was "all of them".
However, since
we will not have a normative spec for WS-Delegation by June, nor do I
know
any other credential delegation standard, I suspect there
was likely a misunderstanding. Takuya will follow up on that question.

I believe Hiro and Ian (chairs of OGSA-WG)
will second me in saying that input on this document from
security experts is welcomed and requested. The most effective form
would be for
people to join the mailing list and attend the relevant phonecons. The
next most
effective is to download and read the current drafts and provide
comments to the list.

Frank and Takuya have volunteered to try to alert the area about
relevant phonecons
and open issues. However, they will not be able to relay
comments/discussion with this
short timeline. Interested parties will have to join them directly to
keep up with the discussion.

Cheers,
Dane