[security-area] FIG WG charter proposal

Frank Siebenlist franks at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Dec 20 16:28:12 CST 2004

Hi Leon,

One part that I would like to see explictly mentioned in the charter is
the routing issue.

If we think about application/xml-soap level firewalls, then these
hurdles have a network endpoint with an associated EPR. They often are
not the endpoint that the requester is interested in, but purely a
application level router to a real service behind the firewall.

How do services advertise that they are accessible through a certain
firewall, i.e. EPR?
How do the requesters determine from a service's EPR that a firewall is
in the middle?
How does the requester distinguish the firewall policy from the service
provider's policy in the advertised EPRs?

There seem to be missing pieces in the available ws-addressing specs,
and the "old" ws-routing doesn't seem to apply anymore... (If any
ws-expert could shed some light on the state of the ws-art, that would
be much appreciated).

Happy Holidays,
Frank.

Frank Siebenlist               franks at mcs.anl.gov
The Globus Alliance - Argonne National Laboratory