[SAGA-RG] FW: ISN spec

antony.wilson at stfc.ac.uk antony.wilson at stfc.ac.uk
Tue Mar 15 11:50:11 CDT 2011

Hi Andre

Thanks for your feedback. The document has been updated http://hepunx.rl.ac.uk/egee/sa3-uk/sd/ISNSpec.pdf

Regards
Antony

>  - Use cases: the document is not very explicit about the
> requirements, and only vaguely refers to the SAGA use cases - I think
> the requirements should be defined in somewhat more detail, and/or one
> or more use cases should explicitly be mentioned.

Now mentions UC 1, section 7

>  - "No use-case has been identified for the operators >=, >, <=, < to
> be applied to
> strings. An Implementation wishing to support these comparison
> operators on strings
> MUST select a collation sequence. Alternatively, an implementation CAN
> treat all
> string comparisons as true, or reject them as invalid SQL."
>
>    IMHO, if the operators are defined, they should be evaluated, or an
> error should be thrown.  I think it will 'surprise' users if the ops
> are accepted, but not applied.

I am inclined to agree but this is consistent with how the SD spec describes the treatment of strings

>  - the classes do not inherit the saga::async interface, and thus will
> not have asynchronous operations.  Is that on purpose, or an
> oversight?

Again this is to remain consistent with the SD spec

>  - "model: the name of the information model"
>
>    That seems to be a freeform string?  I think it would be useful to
> at least propose (SHOULD) string constants for glue 1 and 2?

A note added

>  - "in session"
>
>    by convention in the core spec, the session parameter should always
> be the first one.  It is still optional though - see core spec for
> details (basically, it is up to he language binding how to render
> that).

Updated

>  - You do not have TimeOut, PermissionDenied,
> Authorization/Authentication etc exceptions.  I am unclear about the
> underlying protocol (and the API should not care), but are you sure
> those error modes do not (ever) apply to the calls?
>

>  - some calls have no exceptions whatsoever - are you sure they will
> *always* succeed? :-)

Added to constructor

get_data and list_related_entity_names
the data has already been loaded and parsed as a result of the constructor so will always succeed

exceptions Timeout to get_related_entities
these calls should return objects that you are authorized to see

>  - what is "N.B" in the notes for "list_related_entity_names" ?

Removed

>  - indentation seems sometimes faulty, in particular on line breaks in
> the verbatim sections, but also in the table in 3.1

Fixed

>  - in the example, the include should just be <saga/saga.hpp> - at
> least we don't define individual includes for any other package so
> far.

Changed

>  - you list two prototypes of 'get_related_entities' in the IDL
> section, but only one set of details later on.  I guess you could use
> a default parameter value for the filter in IDL to fix this?

Added comment saying that the operation is overloaded, this is then consistent with the SD spec