[SAGA-RG] ISN spec

Andre Merzky andre at merzky.net
Fri Mar 4 07:01:34 CST 2011

Hi Steve,

here some comments from my end:

 - Use cases: the document is not very explicit about the
requirements, and only vaguely refers to the SAGA use cases - I think
the requirements should be defined in somewhat more detail, and/or one
or more use cases should explicitly be mentioned.

 - "No use-case has been identified for the operators >=, >, <=, < to
be applied to
strings. An Implementation wishing to support these comparison
operators on strings
MUST select a collation sequence. Alternatively, an implementation CAN treat all
string comparisons as true, or reject them as invalid SQL."

   IMHO, if the operators are defined, they should be evaluated, or an
error should be thrown.  I think it will 'surprise' users if the ops
are accepted, but not applied.

 - the classes do not inherit the saga::async interface, and thus will
not have asynchronous operations.  Is that on purpose, or an
oversight?

 - "model: the name of the information model"

   That seems to be a freeform string?  I think it would be useful to
at least propose (SHOULD) string constants for glue 1 and 2?

 - "in session"

   by convention in the core spec, the session parameter should always
be the first one.  It is still optional though - see core spec for
details (basically, it is up to he language binding how to render
that).

 - You do not have TimeOut, PermissionDenied,
Authorization/Authentication etc exceptions.  I am unclear about the
underlying protocol (and the API should not care), but are you sure
those error modes do not (ever) apply to the calls?

 - some calls have no exceptions whatsoever - are you sure they will
*always* succeed? :-)

 - what is "N.B" in the notes for "list_related_entity_names" ?

 - indentation seems sometimes faulty, in particular on line breaks in
the verbatim sections, but also in the table in 3.1

 - in the example, the include should just be <saga/saga.hpp> - at
least we don't define individual includes for any other package so
far.

 - you list two prototypes of 'get_related_entities' in the IDL
section, but only one set of details later on.  I guess you could use
a default parameter value for the filter in IDL to fix this?

Hope that helps,

  Andre.

--
So much time, so little to do...