[SAGA-RG] sessions at OGF-30

Andre Merzky andre at merzky.net
Thu Oct 21 06:19:56 CDT 2010

Hi all,

I would like to add the following session to the list of interest
for OGF30:

 Monday, October 25

  Time:    3:00 pm - 4:30 pm
  Room:    Lillehammer
  Title:   GRAAP-WG -  Group Discussion
           the use-cases for SLAs, how SLAs could be used in SAGA and
           to explore possible collaboration.

That session has been requested by the GRAAP group, so please all
who are interested in SLAs, come along! :-)

As for our demo sessions:  As you have likely seen in the list of
sessions, there are actually *two* demo sessions planned with SAGA
involvement: one is our own SAGA session 3 on Wednesday 3:30pm, the
other one is the GIN session on Thursday 10:30 am.

The main goal of the former session is indeed to focus on SAGA, and
to demonstrate and discuss implementation efforts, backend coverage,
synergy and divergence, etc.

The focus of the GIN session is slightly different.  First, the
attending crowd will likely GIN and PGI people, so somewhat
different than the 'usual suspects'.  Which is a very good thing.
Second, the goal of the session if to demonstrate to the GIN group
that one can achieve application level interoperability, by using
SAGA.

Please allow me to expand on that one.  The focus of the GIN group
(Grid Operation Now) is to exchange experiences and profiles to
allow interoperability of Grid environments, on *middleware* level.
For example, GIN efforts ellow to submit jobs from gLite clients to
Condor backends, etc, if the respective middleware is configured
thus.

Now, SAGA allows very similar things: to run applications on, say,
gLite and Condor backends, w/o changin application logic,
apoplication code, or submission mechanism.  While our top-down
approach certainly has shortcomings, it *is* an excellent
complementary to the bottom-up effort of the GIN group.  That is
what we hope to discuss in that joint session, and what we also hope
to demonstrate with our demos.

So, if anybody feels like their planned SAGA demos are not only
useful to the SAGA crowd, but could be equally interesting to the
GON/PGI people, please come to that session, too, and show your
demos a second time.  For scheduling it would be great if you could
send me a short notification, but showing up ad-hoc is certainly
fine, too.

Best, see you soon,

  Andre.

Please note that I lost a bunch of emails over the last days/week -
please repost if you feel like I need *even longer* than usual to
answer a mail of yours - sorry for that!

Quoting [Andre Merzky] (Oct 06 2010):