[SAGA-RG] package renaming proposal

Andre Merzky andre at merzky.net
Thu Feb 25 04:38:31 CST 2010

Hi all,

while implementing the Core API, we stumbled over the following
naming issue: in the current package naming scheme, we end up with
names like

  saga::file::file
  saga::file::directory

  saga::logical_file::logical_file
  saga::logical_file::logical_directory

the file::file type names are somewhat annoying, the file::directory
type names are also somewhat confusing (which is it now?).  The
problem is obviously that saga packages have sometimes the same
names as saga classes.

We would like to propose to change the package names, to

  saga::filesystem::file
  saga::filesystem::directory

  saga::replica::logical_file
  saga::replica::logical_directory

The SAGA-C++, JavaSAGA and JSAGA implementors, and the python
binding authors, seem not to be opposed toward that change.  In
fact, C++ and Python have those changes already partially
implemented, for various reasons.  We would thus very much like to
reconcile the implementations with the spec.

Note that would be the second backward compatibility braking API
change I believe, after removing context.set_defaults().

Please comment.

Best, Andre.

--
Nothing is ever easy.