[SAGA-RG] SAGA Python implementation

Thilo Kielmann kielmann at cs.vu.nl
Thu Jan 8 08:52:23 CST 2009

Steve (and all),

let me try to reply to this.

For the full picture about Python and SAGA:

- Paul has developed a complete Python language binding that is driven by
  Python look-and-feel (to the best of our knowledge). This is called PySAGA.

  This language binding is defining the API in terms of Python classes against
  which SAGA applications should be coded.

- Paul has also implemented a backend to PySAGA, called JySAGA, which maps
  PySAGA calls to our JavaSAGA implementation (via Jython).

- Our friends in Louisiana (Hartmut and co.) have developed a Python wrapper
  implementation to their C++ SAGA implementation. This Python wrapper is a
  bit incomplete. Also its design is more driven by exposing the C++/Boost
  interfaces.

- I am currently having another student (Manuel) who is writing glue code
  that maps PySAGA to the LSU wrapper to the C++ SAGA implementation.

For people outside VU Amsterdam and outside LSU, this means,
according to a discussion the VUA and LSU folks had:

- We anticipate that PySAGA will be iterated through the OGF process to become
  the official, agreed upon, Python binding for SAGA.

- Adaptors should be written for the Java and/or the C++ implementations of
  SAGA.

- Extension packages should be done at the language level (in Java, in C++,
  in Python and in possibly other languages). For Python, the implementation
  should simply wrap around Java and/or C++, like with SAGA's core.

Regards,

Thilo

Thilo Kielmann                                 http://www.cs.vu.nl/~kielmann/