[SAGA-RG] One final thing to agree upon for SD

Steve Fisher dr.s.m.fisher at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 17:45:33 CDT 2008

2008/10/22 Andre Merzky <andre at merzky.net>:
> Quoting [Sylvain Reynaud] (Oct 22 2008):
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Why would a SAGA user want to discover services not available to his VO,
>> if he can not use any of the SAGA-core object with these services? IMHO,
>> enabling such use-case is fine, but a SAGA extension should first
>> concentrate on enhancing the use of SAGA-core objects.

This is certainly a very valid question. It was included in my
original design because I was following some of the notions of the
current gLite service discovery API (though it is not much used except
internally by data management).

> +1
>
> I also think that the results of the discover() call should,
> first of all, be usable within a specific saga session.  As
> limited as a saga session object might be - discovering
> services which do not (easily) map to a session context will
> not be very useful to a SAGA programmer, IMHO.

This requirement is already satisfied because if you omit the
"VO-filter" the information is taken from your context. The
implementation of the API could select using any group or role
information without it being visible in the interface

> I understand that the SAGA notion of VOs and of
> authorization roles etc. does not map 1:1 to Glue's notion,
> but IMHO, a best effort should be made to align the SD
> package with SAGA semantics, as that is the context where it
> will be used.
>

>> Nevertheless, adding non-specified key-value pairs in ?vo_filter? is
>> suitable for me, provided ?vo_filter' be renamed to 'authz_filter'. In
>> doing so, we also keep the possibility to add them as full SD attributes
>> in future versions of the specification as you suggest.
>
> I think that this would make sense once we expand a saga
> session, or a saga security context, with similar
> attributes.
>
> Cheers, Andre.

I think the main question is whether or not we should allow selection
on authz info and whether or not we should even allow this information
to be queried on a returned service. I can only think of 2 reasons to
keep it. The first is to make the API useful to someone without a
security context and the second is for an application wanting to
collect information and make it available on a web page - i.e.
republishing the information. Both of these are more relevant to other
middleware components than to end users. I will ask a few gLite people
to get their opinion.

What do you think?