[SAGA-RG] Service Type

Andre Merzky andre at merzky.net
Sun Feb 24 06:24:53 CST 2008

Hi Steve,

Quoting [Fisher, SM (Steve)] (Feb 21 2008):

You are actually the expert here.  But my gut feeling would
be that it is _very_ difficult to impose a SAGA schema onto
service publishers.  Also, that would give problems with
currently sxisting schemas, and already published services
etc.

Yes, mapping to specific schemas is certainly difficult -
but well, someone _has_ to do it, and I am actually fine
with any solution, as long as this problem stays away from
the end user.

> My favoured way of naming services is reverse DNS style. So the job
> service would be org.ogf.saga.job. However these names cannot be derived
> automatically from the spec - as this would give
> org.ogf.saga.job.job_service. Maybe the best approach is an erratum to
> the main spec which for each service like thing gives it a unique
> reverse DNS type name

Well, of course you like that reverse DNS, that is soooo
Java ;-))  hehehe

Well, naming is always matter of taste, I like the C++ style
more, obviously.  But I agree, there is no need to make that
lnaguage specific.  But possible it is.

As for managing that mapping list: again I think that a
receipe on how these names are formed should be enough.
Your reverse DNS name is just the Java class, right?  Thats
unique, and easily defined...  Same can be done in C++ etc.

Anyway, I think we are running circles at the moment.  We
first should agree upon who is doing the mapping, then we
can agree on the naming, and the mapping table...

> I am sorry I am being so slow to respond. I am trying to do too many
> things at once - I hope it will be better in April.

np, same here.  Hope you are not getting frustrated with the
slow progress....

Best, Andre.

--
"We've got too much time to waste to stand around here doing things."
                                                             - Tigger