[SAGA-RG] Hosted applications

Malcolm Illingworth malcolm at epcc.ed.ac.uk
Mon Aug 25 08:35:25 CDT 2008

Hi,

My apologies if this is referring to an old discussion, but here goes ...

UNICORE supports the concept of an "abstract" hosted application. This means
that an application is installed on a remote execution host, and can be
referred to via a name, rather than a path to the executable. In JSDL this
would look something like:

 <jsdl:JobDescription>
       <jsdl:Application>
         <jsdl:ApplicationName>Bash shell</jsdl:ApplicationName>
         <jsdl:ApplicationVersion>3.1.16</jsdl:ApplicationVersion>
         <jsdl1:POSIXApplication
 xmlns:jsdl1="http://schemas.ggf.org/jsdl/2005/11/jsdl-posix">
           <jsdl1:Environment name="SOURCE">input.sh</jsdl1:Environment>
         </jsdl1:POSIXApplication>
       </jsdl:Application>
     </jsdl:JobDescription>

Any thoughts of how I could support this at the SAGA level? The SAGA job
description defines an EXECUTABLE property, but I'm assuming this has to be
an actual path.

Regards,
Malcolm.

Malcolm Illingworth
EPCC, University of Edinburgh
James Clerk Maxwell Building
Mayfield Road                   E-mail: malcolm at epcc.ed.ac.uk
Edinburgh EH9 3JZ               Phone:  + 44 (0) 131 651 3388
United Kingdom                  Fax:    + 44 (0) 131 650 6555