[SAGA-RG] spec

Ceriel Jacobs ceriel at cs.vu.nl
Fri Dec 14 01:31:22 CST 2007

Andre Merzky wrote:
> Quoting [Ceriel Jacobs] (Dec 13 2007):
>> Andre Merzky wrote:
>>> Quoting [Thilo Kielmann] (Dec 13 2007):

>>> Why is that?
>>>
>>>   tmp/data.bin   <-- relative
>>>   /tmp/data.bin  <-- absolute
>>>
>>>   http://localhost/tmp/data.bin   <-- relative
>> Well, according to RFC 1738 it is, but RFC 1738 has been superseeded by RFC
>> 2396,
>> which in turn has been superseeded by RFC 3986. Both of these consider the
>> above
>> an absolute URI, with an absolute path "/tmp/data.bin".
>
> Uhm, how is a relative path then expressed?  I tried to read
> that from the document but couldn't...  Or is that
> impossible in an absolute URI? (I take that this is an URI
> where scheme and authority are present?)

I guess the idea is that a relative path is always with respect
to another URI. An absolute URI is one with a scheme. So, if it
has a scheme, it is absolute and not relative to some other URI.
So, indeed, you cannot specify a relative path in an absolute URI.

Note that a relative URI can represent an absolute path but still be
relative to another URI with respect to scheme and authority.

Cheers,		Ceriel