[SAGA-RG] spec

Andre Merzky andre at merzky.net
Thu Dec 13 15:48:48 CST 2007

Quoting [Ceriel Jacobs] (Dec 13 2007):

> Andre Merzky wrote:
>> Quoting [Thilo Kielmann] (Dec 13 2007):
>
>>> The motivation for relative paths is: an absoute path immediately
>>> becomes a URL, (well, a URL-shaped string)
>>
>> Why is that?
>>
>>   tmp/data.bin   <-- relative
>>   /tmp/data.bin  <-- absolute
>>
>>   http://localhost/tmp/data.bin   <-- relative
>
> Well, according to RFC 1738 it is, but RFC 1738 has been superseeded by RFC
> 2396,
> which in turn has been superseeded by RFC 3986. Both of these consider the
> above
> an absolute URI, with an absolute path "/tmp/data.bin".

Uhm, how is a relative path then expressed?  I tried to read
that from the document but couldn't...  Or is that
impossible in an absolute URI? (I take that this is an URI
where scheme and authority are present?)

Thanks, Andre.

--
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message, however,
a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.