[saga-rg] Re: [Gat-devel] SAGA an Java GAT?

Andre Merzky andre at merzky.net
Tue Mar 14 06:34:41 CST 2006

Hi Alexander,

There are two upcoming Java implementations for SAGA

 a) one by the DEISA project, implemented by Malcolm
    Illingworth at EPCC, with bindings to the DEISA
    middleware

 b) one by OMII, implemented by Graeme Pound at Southhampton
    University, with bindings to OMII and Globus 4

Both cover not the complete SAGA spec, but focus on files
and jobs.  Both are open source.  We hope that in particular
the OMII implementation gets bundled with OMII, and will see
some uptake.  Also the DEISA implementation should find a
significant user community in the large DEISA project.

However, as of now we do not know of any _complete_ SAGA
implementation in Java.  Gregor von Laszewski, the main
author of the Java CoG, is somewhat active in the SAGA
group, and expressed interest in supporting the SAGA API
spec in the CoG (which would be fabulous), but funding and
time lines are undefined.

Similar with the Java-GAT: the VU Amsterdam has expressed
interest in migrating that to the SAGA API, however, funding
and timelines are similarily undefined.

The situation is different for C/C++/Python as you know, as
for that we have resources funded by VU and LSU.

Does that help?  Its probably not as positive as you would
have wished for - but the upside is that there ARE as of now
2 implementations of the mostly used parts of SAGA.

Cheers, Andre.

Quoting [Alexander Beck-Ratzka] (Mar 14 2006):