[saga-rg] Research Group / Working Groups

Andre Merzky andre at merzky.net
Sat Feb 4 09:14:44 CST 2006

Ah, I knew it wouldn't be _that_ easy ;-)

Well, what is the CORE of Grid capabilities is in the eye of
the beholder I think.  Certainly, the strawman covers the
core capabilities from the SAGA use cases.

However, if you ask some OGSA guy about the core of Grid
capabilities, I am fairly sure that stream multiplexing will
be very much absent on his list...

So, for us it certainly is the core of things we need - in
the grandbright future of SAGA scope it is probably not.

But, actually, whatever - its just naming after all... ;-)
As long as we know what we want to achieve it does not
matter. (But I would hate to hear "you need to do service
management, that _definitely_ belongs to the core of Grids").

Cheers, Andre.

Quoting [Thilo Kielmann] (Feb 04 2006):

> On Sat, Feb 04, 2006 at 10:30:05AM +0100, Andre Merzky wrote:
> > I think the name SAGA-CORE-WG is misleading, as the strawman
> > does not really define a Core API.  That role, defining the
> > core, look and feel, and basic paradigms, would rather fit
> > the target of the RG.
>
> I'd like to disagree, violently!
>
> IF the current API scope of the strawman is supposed to make any sense,
> then as the CORE functionality, the absolute required minimum needed.
> (files and job spawning, and the stuff needed to support this -- very roughly
> speaking)
>
> If it is not this, then I would not see the justification for the strawman's
> contents.
>

> Thilo
>
> PS: Andre, this is "core" as in "the very essential", not as in
>     "rock solid, made for eternity".
| Andre Merzky                      | phon: +31 - 20 - 598 - 7759 |
| Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU) | fax : +31 - 20 - 598 - 7653 |
| Dept. of Computer Science         | mail: merzky at cs.vu.nl       |
| De Boelelaan 1083a                | www:  http://www.merzky.net |
| 1081 HV Amsterdam, Netherlands    |                             |