[saga-rg] Java implementation issues

Andre Merzky andre at merzky.net
Wed Nov 23 09:28:17 CST 2005

I agree to some extend - did not want to give the impression
that all user need to re-code their applications for the next
SAGA version.

However, I am pretty sure that e.g. the language bindings
will get iterated after some experience with the reference
implementations, and the the scope extensions might
introduce changes to the look and feel.  It will be a
balance act I guess...  So its a good thing that the
standardization of the language bindings is pretty late on
our time line - it gives us time to get it right...

A.

Quoting [Thilo Kielmann] (Nov 23 2005):
> Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 16:21:31 +0100
> From: Thilo Kielmann <kielmann at cs.vu.nl>
> To: saga-rg at ggf.org
> Subject: Re: [saga-rg] Java implementation issues
>
> May I largely contradict Andre:
>
> On Wed, Nov 23, 2005 at 08:48:56AM -0600, Andre Merzky wrote:
>
> > One more remark: we are pretty sure that, in one or two
> > years from now, the SAGA spec will undergo major revisions.
> > That includes firstly a widening of scope, but might
> > secondly also affect lok & feel.  So any reference
> > implementation should be easily extensible in scope, and
> > should, if possible, simple enough to change look and feel
> > w/o the need for complete rewrite.
>
> We can not afford major changes in the API. While scope extensions are
> envisioned, extensions alone must be (mostly) upward-compatible.
> Look and feel changes can also only affect small things.
>
> We must take the fact into account that, in order to be useful and
> uptake-able by commercial parties (and even academic users), we have to
> provide stability of the API. Otherwise, the SAGA interface will be a toy
> rather than a standard.
>
> If the message is that the API will change a lot in the future, I can
> only recommend people using the GAT instead. In comparison to SAGA,
> the GAT has stable implementations and a lot of existing adaptors.
> What is the value of SAGA, if not of a stable and standardized interface?
>
> We have to get our act together, and we have to do so now. SAGA is not
> (supposed to be) an academic toy, it is meant for real. (So far my personal
> interpretation of the whole endeavour.)
>

> Cheers,
>

> Thilo
| Andre Merzky                      | phon: +31 - 20 - 598 - 7759 |
| Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU) | fax : +31 - 20 - 598 - 7653 |
| Dept. of Computer Science         | mail: merzky at cs.vu.nl       |
| De Boelelaan 1083a                | www:  http://www.merzky.net |
| 1081 HV Amsterdam, Netherlands    |                             |