[saga-rg] task states

'Andre Merzky' andre at merzky.net
Tue Nov 8 12:55:32 CST 2005

Hi Haresh,

Thanks for your feedback!  Its is nice to see more people
reading the posts than the usual suspects :-))

I did not make that clear enough: the schema is only for the
task states, not for the job states.

If you look at the API spec, the job states are much more
detailed.  I will try to put them into a diagram soonish as
well, and would appreciate your feedback to that.

For the task states: tasks in SAGA are just handles to
asynchroneous operations really, so fairly simple things.

For most implementations, a async call (i.e. task) will
probably spawn a thread which performs a operation (e.g.
remote file copy), and watch that thread.  So a 'failed
task' will mean that the file copy failed, not that the
thread was killed -- FAILED so always would mean a user
handled error.

Does that make sense to you?

Cheers, Andre.

Quoting [Haresh Bhatt] (Nov 07 2005):

> Hi,
>
> I am not much aware about SAGA activities. However, I could not resist
> myself in mentioning few points about the task state management. Please
> ignore if it is already discussed.
>
> 1.  Task may encounter two types of errors: (a) User handled error and (b)
> system thrown errors. First one is preferred by many programmers to get more
> meaningful messages. We need to handle both.
> 2.  Should we need to handle the states like Suspend, Resume, Restarted,
> etc?
> 3.  How does error will impact on resource management? Will the resource be
> freed? If yes then what about the time commitments (reservation)? If No then
> what will happen if an error is not handled for long time period? Shall we
> still considered the process state as ERRORNEOUS or give another meaningful
> state?
> 4.  If workflow is part of SAGA then we may need to handle few more states.
>
> Regards,
>
> Haresh
> --------
> Dr. Haresh S. Bhatt
> Scientist/Engineer 'SF'
> Indian Space Research Organization
> ND/SAG/SITAA
> Space Applications Centre
> Ahmedabad 380 015
> eMail: haresh at sac.isro.gov.in
> Phone:
> 91-79-2691 4731 (Desk)
> 91-79-2691 4744 (Lab 1)
> 91-79-2691 4742 (Lab 2)
> 91-79-2691 4375 (Lab 3)
> 91-79-2691 4376 (Lab 4)

| Andre Merzky                      | phon: +31 - 20 - 598 - 7759 |
| Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU) | fax : +31 - 20 - 598 - 7653 |
| Dept. of Computer Science         | mail: merzky at cs.vu.nl       |
| De Boelelaan 1083a                | www:  http://www.merzky.net |
| 1081 HV Amsterdam, Netherlands    |                             |