[saga-rg] SAGA use case document: comments needed! (this week)

Andre Merzky andre at merzky.net
Wed Nov 2 14:51:26 CST 2005

Having a phone/AG call on this is a good idea I think.  The
topic should be interesting to the other visualization use
cases as well (Cc).  Even if currently there is no block
based data transfer in SAGA, it would certainly considered
for inclusion if there turns out to be significant interest,
and a initial proposal for an API exists...

my 2 cents,

  Andre.

Quoting [Andrei Hutanu] (Nov 02 2005):

> Let me rephrase this a bit. Reliability is good and useful as an option
> (as is in order delivery) but shouldn't be a requirement.
> What this API should do is to remove the burden from the user to deal
> with arbitrary sizes of data  such as : 1 byte (current API) or
> 1500/9000 bytes (UDP/RIPP) when using the network.
> Regardless of wether this finds it's way into the SAGA API or not I
> would like to propose a phone conference
> with all the interested parties to decide what this API should actually
> look like.
>
> Andrei
>
> Andrei Hutanu wrote:
>
> >Hi John,
> >
> >I don't have reliability or in order-delivery as a requirement. The
> >idea is that there is a sender, sending large (variable in size)
> >chunks of binary data.
> >On the receiving end either a chunk comes complete (even if it has
> >some byte errors inside) or it doesn't come at all.
> >Here is the tentative API I proposed (slightly modified from the
> >original use case here). Does this make sense?
> >
> >Start sending data asynchronously (cb gets called at the end of the
> >operation)
> >
> >AsyncResult beginSend (Block block,
> >                      AsyncResultCallback cb,
> >void* userData);
> >   // releases resources, should be called in the callback, if called
> >before callback blocks
> >endSend (AsyncResult handle);
> >Same as with send :
> >     AsyncResult beginReceive (AsyncResultCallback cb,
> >                         void* userData);
> >         Block endReceive (AsyncResult handle);
> >   typedef struct Block {
> >    const void* const buffer;
> >    size_t            size;
> >} Block;
> >

> >John Shalf wrote:

> >>By "Block-based data transmission" to you mean a kind of "Reliable
> >>Messages" API as opposed to the existing Stream API?
> >>
> >>If so, would you want to support more complex semantics such as the
> >>WS standard?
> >>ftp://www6.software.ibm.com/software/developer/library/ws-
> >>reliablemessaging200502.pdf
> >>
> >>Or stick with simpler semantics like those offered by RUDP or RIPP?

| Andre Merzky                      | phon: +31 - 20 - 598 - 7759 |
| Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU) | fax : +31 - 20 - 598 - 7653 |
| Dept. of Computer Science         | mail: merzky at cs.vu.nl       |
| De Boelelaan 1083a                | www:  http://www.merzky.net |
| 1081 HV Amsterdam, Netherlands    |                             |