[saga-rg] Job States

Andre Merzky andre at merzky.net
Fri Jul 29 12:40:43 CDT 2005

Hiho.

SAGA Jobs have currently following states:

  - Unknown,
  - HoldSystem,
  - HoldUser,
  - Hold,
  - Queued,
  - Running,
  - SuspendSystem,
  - SuspendUser,
  - Suspend,
  - DoneOk,
  - DoneFail

I got the comment from colleques that PreStaging and
PostStaging are missing.  Indeed these stages seem not to
fir into any of the above ones.  Running would be a
candidate, but since the remote resource is not neccessarily
used anymore, that might be confusing.  Should these stages
be added?  However, they do also not appear in the DRMAA
specification AFAIK.

Any thoughts?

Another question: Assume I check a job status and find it
'DoneFail' - how can I determine the reason of failure?  It
would be useful to know the status the job was in before it
failed (e.g. if it was prestating, I know then that staging
failed, and the job never really started).  Also it would be
nice to be able to query for any error message.

I think that the error query is distinct from the exception
mechanism we will have: a job entering DoneFail should NOT
throw an exception in my opinion - but that leads to above
question: how can I query the error leading ot the DoneFail
state?

BTW: We should also check/sync with the error reporting
     mechanism for Tasks.

| Andre Merzky                      | phon: +31 - 20 - 598 - 7759 |
| Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU) | fax : +31 - 20 - 598 - 7653 |
| Dept. of Computer Science         | mail: merzky at cs.vu.nl       |
| De Boelelaan 1083a                | www:  http://www.merzky.net |
| 1081 HV Amsterdam, Netherlands    |                             |