[saga-rg] Current issue list

Andre Merzky andre at merzky.net
Wed Jul 6 23:28:41 CDT 2005

During the phone call, we annotated part of the list with
TODOs and comments.  Here it is for archiving purposes, you
can also find it in CVS.

The call was joined by

  - Tom Goodale
  - Christopher Smith
  - Shantenu Jha
  - Thomasz Haupt
  - Andre Merzky

The next call will be in two weeks, Thursday July 21st, same
time.

Cheers, Andre.

Quoting [Tom Goodale] (Jul 07 2005):
> Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 10:22:35 -0500 (CDT)
> From: Tom Goodale <goodale at cct.lsu.edu>
> To: saga-rg at ggf.org
> Subject: [saga-rg] Current issue list
>

> Peter  Kunszt <Peter.Kunszt at cern.ch>
> Kalman Kovari <Kalman.Kovari at cern.ch>
>
>   - The examples are sometimes more misleading than useful...
>
>     -> why?
>

>   - The error handling and error semantics are not defined well
>     enough.  This is essential in order to assure proper
>     interoperability.
>
>     -> compile list of error codes, check for consistency
>

>   - There is a lack of structure in terms of interface layering.  High
>     level interfaces (like JobManagement) and low level interfaces
>     (like Stream) are not distinguished, motivated, or put into
>     context.  E.g. why is there a need of a networkstream-level
>     interface for a grid application?
>
>     -> intentional, see use cases!
>

>   - Example (P18): OO structured, not like the iface.
>     (eg. i = dir.getNumEntries() instead of dir.getNumEntries(a) ? )
>
>     -> ?
>

>   - Example (P29): an exact copy of Ex. 1.
>
>     -> check
>

>   - Description - Streams (P62): close or destroyStream? maybe close,
>     but not consistent.
>
>     -> see Notes in Streams
>

>   - General: sometimes bitwise OR-s are used for multiple options
>     (Stream/ActivityType, P59), sometimes arrays of values
>     (NameSpace/CopyFlags, P9). Why no convention?
>
>     -> I agree, bitwise OR is simplier
>

>   - Interface NSDir: what are the semantics of the copy method? of
>     getName and getURL?
>
>     -> ?
>

> Thorsten Sch"utt:
>
>   - isFile -> isEntry?
>
>     -> should we revive NSEntry (more reasons?)?
>

>   - SIDL docs on wiki!
>
>     -> TODO
>

>   - fix all examples in respect to session and context
>
>     -> TODO
>

>   - flags
>
>     -> see above
>

>   - Attribute -> AttributeSet
>
>     -> leave naming, but better describe idea
>

> Steven Newhouse:
>
>   - Inconsistent use of security!  Its only in the stream section,
>     nowhere else. "Not specifying a security system makes sense, but I
>     think all of thes emethods should have a security token being
>     passed into them or it should be an argument in the relevant
>     object constructor."
>
>     -> should be fixed by session and context
>

>   - I assume the URL can support a number of protocols -
>     http/https/file/gridftp. I see no way to register plugins in the
>     interface (may be this is an 'internal' interface as opposed to a
>     user funtion. Maybe there needs to be aet of interfaces to help
>     the developers, e.g. register protocol plugins.
>
>     -> plugin: implementation level
>     -> url support: util class?  any://?
>
>   - State example language each time!  Do examples in multiple
>     languages!
>
>     -> TODO

> [...]

| Andre Merzky                      | phon: +31 - 20 - 598 - 7759 |
| Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU) | fax : +31 - 20 - 598 - 7653 |
| Dept. of Computer Science         | mail: merzky at cs.vu.nl       |
| De Boelelaan 1083a                | www:  http://www.merzky.net |
| 1081 HV Amsterdam, Netherlands    |                             |