[saga-rg] task on all classes?

Andre Merzky andre at merzky.net
Mon Aug 29 04:19:24 CDT 2005

Hi all,

There are several SAGA classes and interfaces where the spec
is not perfectly clear if the task model should be applied
or not.

For the stream packages, I think it makes no sense to have
tasks/task_factories for the StreamServer and the
Multiplexer classes, as both are already working
asynchroneous.  In fact, I think it would be good to
synchronize their interfaces with that of the task
interface, e.g. use wait, getState etc.

For some of the generic interface, such as context,
attributes, permissions, session, namespaces, we are silent
about any task incarnation.

As session and context are intended to represent local
information, and don't have any potentially long running
methods attached, I think that tasks would be superflous and
confusing on them.

For permissions, attributes and namespaces the situation is
different, as the setting/query methods for them can very
well invoke a slow remote interaction, and hence would
benefit from the asynchroneous task model, so I think we
should include it here.

Comments would be welcome.  On silence, I am going to
include some specifica alongb these lines in the strawman.

Best regards,

  Andre.

| Andre Merzky                      | phon: +31 - 20 - 598 - 7759 |
| Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU) | fax : +31 - 20 - 598 - 7653 |
| Dept. of Computer Science         | mail: merzky at cs.vu.nl       |
| De Boelelaan 1083a                | www:  http://www.merzky.net |
| 1081 HV Amsterdam, Netherlands    |                             |