[saga-rg] NSDir - and working directory

Tom Goodale goodale at cct.lsu.edu
Fri Aug 26 07:22:23 CDT 2005

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005, Tom Goodale wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Aug 2005, Andre Merzky wrote:
>
>> Hmm, maybe I misunderstood the question.  Opening (or
>> constructing) a dir should have a uri as parameter, which is
>> the initial pwd.  (BTW: adding the constructors is on my
>> TODO list I think - thanks for the remonder ;-)
>>
>> But what is about this case:
>>
>>  dir d ("http://www.host.net/home/andre");
>>
>>  d.copy ("http://www.host.net/home/andre/test.dat", "./test.dat");
>>
>> What is the target of the copy call relative to?
>> As terry said, even more difficult for the relative remote
>> case.
>
> It should be relative to the pwd of d, in the same way as when I do
>
> cd /home/andre
>
> cp /home/andre/test.dat ./test.dat
>
> (which would of course give an error as they are the same file);  target is
> relative to the current working directory.

Of course that then begs the question of how to copy a local file to a
remote file or a remote file to a local file easily.  I guess one way
would be to use a file:// URI for that.  However if we have a directory
object, it should have the same semantics as the current working directory
for a process.

Tom