[saga-rg] Bad News, Good News (WAS: Proposed agenda for Design team kickoff)

Andre Merzky andre at merzky.net
Mon Dec 13 06:38:56 CST 2004

Bad News:
  - Hartmut is ill, and will not participate today.
    Lets hope he is geeting better over the next days.
  - Michael will be able to participate only Thursday/Friday,
    (His presentation slot at the Krakow workshop got shifted
    around randomly...)

Good news:
  - over the last weeks Hartmut, Michael and I have been
    discussing a draft for an API.  That discussion started as
    GAT-v.2, but has been more and more evolved into a SAGA API
    discussion.
    We would like to put the result on the table for this F2F
    meeting - I will commit the drafts we have to CVS in a minute.
    Please take it as what it is: food for discussion :-)

Cheers, Andre.

Quoting [Tom Goodale] (Dec 13 2004):

> Hi,
>
> the deisgn team will kickoff at 9am CST on Monday (13th December).  In
> order to get us started here is an agenda:
>
> o Welcome
>
> o Agenda bashing
>   - change the agenda if necessary
>
> o Logistics
>   - Brief discussion of logistics, covering who will be coming in when by
>     access grid, and who will be where when.  Maximise overlap.
>
> o Style
>   - Discussion of what style of API we want to go for
>     e.g. are we going for an object oriented API.
>
> o Use Cases
>   - discuss the use cases which have been submitted
>     Refer to draft document circulated by Andre Merzky and Gabrielle Allen
>     Identify API areas
>
> o API Areas
>   - further discussion of API areas and discussion of how existing deal
>     with these API areas.
>     Should include: how do existing APIs coordinate, if at all
>                     where do they not cooperate well
>                     what 'objects' appear in these APIs
>
> o Core API areas
>   - discuss which API areas will be dealt with at this meeting
>
> o Further discussion of logistics
>   - how will we coordinate the work between the teams in the USA and
>     in Europe.
>
> o General design issues
>   - more on style of API
>   - how will we address security
>   - what languages are we targetting
>   - error tracking
>   - audit trails
>   - ...
>
> o Objects (if we go for an object oriented API)
>   - what objects will we have in the areas
>   - how will they interact
>
> The timetable for the above is not set yet, as it depends upon the
> logistics and in particular on how much overlap we can have between the
> teams in the USA and in Europe during the first couple of days.
>
> Ok, see you all at 9am CST.
>
> Tom

| Andre Merzky                      | phon: +31 - 20 - 444 - 7759 |
| Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU) | fax : +31 - 20 - 444 - 7653 |
| Dept. of Computer Science         | mail: merzky at cs.vu.nl       |
| De Boelelaan 1083a                | www:  http://www.merzky.net |
| 1081 HV Amsterdam, Netherlands    |                             |