[RUS-WG] Minutes from the OGF20 sessions

Rosario Michael Piro piro at to.infn.it
Tue May 15 13:14:49 CDT 2007

Hi Gilbert, hi everybody!

Gilbert Netzer wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> the minutes (as well as the slides) from the RUS and RUS+UR session at the
> OGF20 in Manchester are now available on the GridForge in the following folder:
>
> http://forge.gridforum.org/sf/go/projects.rus-wg/docman.root.meeting_materials_and_minutes.ogf20_manchester
>
> Please have a look an tell me if something is wrong/missing/too much!

Very good minutes, very detailed, I can't imagine that something is
missing :o)

Many of us have been present at the sessions I think we should give
those who haven't the possibility to express their opinions such that we
can then take final decisions (although most are already now quite
clear, but having other point of views can be interesting, so please
read the minutes if you couldn't attend the sessions at OGF20!)

I've already a few considerations to some of the things we said at the
sessions, maybe they can serve as a starting point for a discussion.

1) Comments to the minutes of the joint UR/RUS session:

Aggregation of usage:
- Most of us think that a separate AUR specification would be most
appropriate and allow to contemporarily work on both aggregation and the
extension of the UR to resource consumers other than jobs (e.g. for
storage accounting, etc). Also, a preliminary proposal has been made
that we can start working on (and I'm sure Xiaoyu would take the lead on
that as principal editor of the document)
- Xiouyu, the version of the proposed AUR spec currently available at
http://forge.ogf.org/sf/go/doc13708?nav=1 is quite old (before we
modified it to have it more flexible for more use cases), can you
provide the UR-WG (and RUS-WG) mailing list with the latest version, so
that interested people can have a look at it and start a serious
discussion on the topic?
- About the name: currently Aggregate Usage Record (AUR), or would the
name Summary Usage Record/SUR be more appropriate, since aggregation can
also mean just a set of single URs without summing the usage values up?

Proposed new properites of UR:
- UserFQAN: The FQAN is indeed very well structured (as is the User DN),
it is basically a string that indicates the VO and particular VO group a
user belongs and has additional fields for the user's role/capabilities
within that VO, something like:
"/VO[/group][/Role=...[/Capability=...]]", for example:
"/atlas/production/Role=admin". For a brief description see Section 2 of
http://grid-auth.infn.it/docs/AC-RFC.pdf
Note that a VOMS certificate may have multiple FQANs, such that the
property should have an unbounded occurence.
Since VOMS is widely used (and for example charging might depend on a
user's role in a VO) the notion of a user's role should be supported
although that need not necessarily be restricted to the VOMS FQAN. Maybe
something more flexible like urf:UserRole might be ok (those who don't
use VOMS might still be interested in distinguishing between "admins"
and "mortal users", UserRole might simply be defined as a string and the
exact form of it should then depend on the environment/use case. But
that's just an idea.

2) Comments to the minutes of the joint UR/RUS session:
[I keep the UR-WG in CC for this, some of you might be interested in
what is going on eith RUS; if not, just ignore what is following ;o) ]

Full XPath support vs. XPath limitations:
- I wouldn't say that XPath queries destroy the performance, although
they of course can slow it down, that depends on the complexity and also
on the underlying database. Even with a relational DB schema the
execution of a query can be awfully slow if an XPath has to be
translated into an SQL statement that will cause many tables to be
joint. Also, I think the most problematic part of the query is the
selection of the requested records within the maybe millions of records
in the database (being it relational or XML) and less the question
whether, after these records have been found, they should be returned
completely or just pieces of them (maybe returning complete records is
even worse for the performance, for example if a relational DB is used
which means the server will needs to reassemble the complete UR
documents before returning them ...?). But I think although we should
keep performance issues in mind (nonetheless we can't forsee many
problems without having experienced a lot with this), we should not
focus too much on that. The question is more whether we want the RUS
interface to be completely XPath-compliant or leave the restrictions
that are currently in place. I think full compliance is the better
choice, above all since we're talking about standards :o)
- If XPath will allow to retrieve only pieces/parts of URs: Why should a
client need to validate what it got back against the UR spec. If I'm
interested only in a list of job IDs than I will check only whether what
  I got back is a list of job IDs, not wether that list can be validated
against the UR. And if I want to do that validation, this is perfectly
fine, since I can always ask for entire records that I can then validate
against the spec. It is up to the client to check what it gets back
(knowing exactly what it wanted back; entire URs for validation, just a
list of job IDs, or whatever ...)
- I would oppose the idea to define a minimum set of XPath queries that
have to be supported by a RUS server, since this interferes with
implementation issues. If a RUS server, for example, doesn't want
records to be found by UserIdentity than it always should be allowed to
refuse the execution (maybe by returning a UserNotAuthorizedFault). If
defining such a query in a mimimun set of queries that have to be
support, the developer would loose that option. Generally all possible
XPath queries should _theoretically_  be support but we need to give the
developer the means to refuse their execution for some reasons
(UserNotAuthorizedFault, QueryTooComplexFault, InternalServerFault, ...).
- Also I think letting the RUS server inform the client about what
queries it is willing to execute would be unfeasible since XPath is
extremely flexible and listing all possible queries should be quite
impossible (immagine all the possible combinations ...).
- The idea of using XPath expressions for defining the mandatroy
elements that have to be present for a UR to be accepted upon insertion
is good since it is the most flexible one, also: if the client queries
the RUS server for the mandatory elements it should be straightfoward
for the client to test its UR documents against the servers requirements
before trying to insert them into the RUS.

Those are just a few ideas for starting a discussion.

Cheers,

Rosario.