[RUS-WG] A first peek at the core IDL Recommendation

Gilbert Netzer noname at pdc.kth.se
Wed May 2 11:43:35 CDT 2007

Hi everybody,

some time ago I volunteered to start working on the proposed IDL
formulation of the RUS Core recommendation. Now, shortly before OGF20 I
wanted to give you a first preview of the recommendation. Its in a very
early stage, but all the operations should be in there plus some proposals
from my side. I hope this gives us an idea about how the IDL stuff could
look like and I would of course also appreciate any feedback.

For this draft I used the XMLSpec from the W3C to write the document as XML
and produce the XHTML using a stylesheet they provide.

I marked the version as editors copy to avoid any misunderstandings about
its status using the flags provided by the stylesheet. I hope the marking
is clear enough.

In the draft proposal, I also made the following proposed changes:

- Add a extract method to allow a WS-Enumeration to be returned instead of
the whole list with URs.

- Also add the possiblity to record deletion in the RecordHistory.

- Remove the RUSUsageRecord wrapping and use a specialized method to
extract the record history.

- Remove the RUSRecordId in favour of the RecordIdentity provided by the
Usage Record Format.

You can have a look at the draft in .xhtml or as .xml at the following
location:

http://www.pdc.kth.se/~noname/rus-core-idl.xhtml
http://www.pdc.kth.se/~noname/rus-core-idl.xml

Again, this is a very rough first draft, I have not had time to check any
spelling and a lot of sections are still missing, I just felt it would
perhaps be good to have some thoughts about it at OGF20

Best Regards
Gilbert Netzer