[rm-wg] Simple Server Lifecycle - Extant?

Duncan Johnston Watt Duncan at enigmatec.net
Mon May 7 14:59:25 CDT 2007

Bob

Hi, what we are trying to enforce is orderly destruction so this is only
permitted if we are in either manageable or failed state which
collectively we are treating as Extant.

I am not sure how much further to push this example (without guidance
from the co-chairs) but there are a couple of other flaws with current
version -

Failed is treated as Terminal whereas you could argue that under some
circumstances an error might be repairable.  We could express this as
"fix" transition from Failed to Manageable.

There is no equivalent to Terminate.  This could be a parameterized Stop
(forcing an orderly decommissioning of component) or alternatively it
could be expressed as yet another substate within Extant (this time with
no way back to manageable!) if we are happy to bypass the
decommissioning.

I guess what I've done (eventually given where I started with V1!) is
validate that I can express pretty much everything I need using
high-level state transition diagram presented in part 2 of today's
meeting (slide 38).

Regards

Duncan

Enigmatec Corporation Limited, Registered in England No: 4202328.
Registered Office: 25 Bucklersbury, London, EC4N 8DA