[rm-wg] Lifecycle Draft Spec

Natale, Bob RNATALE at mitre.org
Fri Jun 1 08:21:54 CDT 2007

Hi David,

Your proposed mapping makes sense to me...with (moderate) reservations
about the Saturated case.

For the WSLC, "Saturated" (Down) is distinguished from "Busy" (Up) in
that the Service cannot be "Busy" because it is blocked (by lack of
resources of some kind) from accepting new requests.  Thus, to a
consumer issuing a new request for service, the Service would appear to
be "Down".  The "Saturated" value enables a management application
and/or human operators to take some action to "Relieve" (the state
transition action the WSLC defines for this case) the resource
blockage.  (In fact, maybe "Blocked" would have been a better term than
"Saturated" for the WSLC to use.)

The big plus of the "Saturated" state in the WSLC is better
manageability info.  The downside is possible flapping on the state --
so the Service has to include some threshold manageability capabilities
to deal with that possibility.

Cheers,
BobN