[Risge-rg] Use case

Constantinos (Costas) Kotsokalis constantinos.kotsokalis at udo.edu
Mon Jun 23 10:31:07 CDT 2008

Hi Marcus,

Some (I hope not too late) answers/comments inline :-)

On Jun 19, 2008, at 10:47 , Marcus Hardt wrote:

> Dear Colleagues,
>
> I'm one of the "silent" consumers of this list. And I wonder, if the
> following
> use case is already covered by the RISGE group.
>
> We have a sensor that could be operated by an operator for making a
> measurement.
>
> The measurement needs to be stored in a grid-accessible way.
> Preferrably it
> would be copied to a gLite Storage Element (SE) and registered in
> the gLite
> Logical File Catalogue (LFC).
>
> Ideally the sensor would be capable of submitting jobs that analyse
> the data.

Overall, we are looking into those situations where there is some post-
processing of experimental data involved, without explicitly examining
the exact kind of post-processing, where they are stored (we consider
a data sink which might be anything), how the data was transfered, etc.

> Now I've some questions:
>
> o Is there a common understanding of how the Proxy is created? This
> directly
> influences the ownership of the data?

In average, it looks like most (if not all) experiments we have
examined are performed via a web-based interface (i.e., a portal). As
such, one can assume that proxies are created at login time, and that
indeed data is owned by the remote scientist (the person conducting
the experiment). However, I should add that proxy creation is again an
implementation issue, seen (at least by myself) as an added layer to
the functionality that we are trying to describe (this is the approach
taken by most OGF groups, AFAIK). That is not to say that security and
data ownership is not a relevant topic.

> o If there is no user to create a proxy, is it foreseen to use the
> host
> certificate of the sensor? Is this actually technically possible? Is
> this
> permittet by the CAs CP/CPS?

Again, this is an implementation issue, and I personally don't have
specific understanding/opinion. About this, I would recommend
contacting your local CA, or even the CAOPS group of the OGF.

> o Can a host certificate be a member of a VO?

Again, your local CA, VOMS manager, or the CAOPS group might be more
appropriate to answer this. I don't see why it cannot, but security is
not my field.

Best regards,

  Costas

> Are there answers to these questions?