[Pgi-wg] Thoughts on the airplane home (GIN, PGI, Cycle sharing)

Andrew Grimshaw grimshaw at virginia.edu
Sun Nov 7 17:54:03 CST 2010

Balázs, and everyone else too,
I agree that they are similar questions. I believe the situation is now
different and improved. The difference is that when we started the use case
and requirement definition phase we had proposals on how to proceed, e.g.,
the "Geneva Execution Service" and the "GES Realization via Existing
Specifications" documents produced in the late Spring and Summer of 2009,
but no solid requirements with which to compare the proposals. A regular
refrain at that time was something along the line of "X does not meet our
requirements", yet as a group we had no definition of the requirements.
Trying to meet requirements in the absence of an agreement of exactly what
the requirements are is a difficult challenge in any circumstance - even
harder with such a diverse group.

My recollection (perhaps flawed) is that is why we started the whole
requirements process at the Munich meeting in March, so that we could make
rational (or at least informed) decisions based on requirements going
forward.

Finally, I agree totally that the process must remain transparent and
available to all members (or anyone who wants to join) to discuss.

Andrew